Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't get her to nap to sleep

Default Re: can't get her to nap to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joshuas.mommy View Post
    This sounds very familiar! My son was like that around the same age. What finally worked for us was to find another way to get him to sleep altogether. Instead of nursing, his daddy would 'dance him down' in the nursery to a particular soundtrack of children's songs. For whatever reason, he seemed to fall more deeply asleep that way and if he fell asleep that way instead of by nursing he didn't wake as much that night. Otherwise I was at the point of spending 2 hours trying to nurse DS down at night only to have him cry and wake up the moment I put him in the crib. I remember how crazy-making that was! Also, some nights when we just couldn't get DS to sleep, after hours of trying, we'd set him in the crib and let him cry for 10-15 minutes. Once in awhile he seemed to need to do that to wind himself down and go to sleep.
    EXACTLY!

Thank you so much. I read your response to DH before beginning her bedtime routine. I'd basically been trying to nurse her down, letting her get more wound up, and then DH would step in and wind her back down with walking and rocking.

After reading your post we decided not to fight her. I nursed and, as usual, she got very drowsy quickly but then started to wind up. Instead of trying to nurse more I got DH. He walked her and she went down an hour earlier than last night. Don't know if that means she'll have a good and long sleep but I'm really just happy for all of us that there were no tears tonight -- especially for her. If she had words I wonder if she'd ask for daddy?
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vivsmaman View Post
    first sleep, second sleep. this is a complete aside but when not on leave i'm actually a historian. i study colonialism and gender and have so many documents of 19th century imperialists and reformers writing about the horrible sleep habits of south and southeast asians (entire families in the same bed!) i think -- years from now when we're all rested -- i'll write about the very long and actually global assault on co-sleeping.
    can't WAIT to read this! seriously. let me know when you have a draft.

sounds like tonight went well, and from your last post i just remembered how around 13 months DS started doing the same thing - he'd nurse down almost to sleep, over an hour or so, then pop up ready to play! soon we just figured we'd let him do what he wanted, so he'd get up, go downstairs and hang out with DH for a couple hours, eat some food, and eventually fuss again at which point he'll go back down for the night very quickly.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hi Mama! I just want to say that I know somewhat of what you are going through. DD and I had a great routine of nursing to sleep for naps and I would be able to slip out once she was asleep. However, once she hit the 4 mo. wakeful (and she hit it earlier than 4 months of age) she realized what was happening and she bagan to associate nursing with sleeping. Therefore I can't get her to nurse at all during playtime, I have tried. She thinks I am trying to put her to sleep. So now, I have a little system that is working (for now). When it is nap time, I turn out the lights (she sleeps in a pack n play in our room), turn on the lullabies and she welcomes nursing. However, if she does pull-away because she does not want to sleep, but I know she is tired and needs to sleep, I start bouncing her on the workout ball. It usually works everytime with very little fuss. It sounds like you are wanting her to nurse to sleep, but she is refusing to now because she knows that it means sleep time. If you know that she needs to sleep, it can be frustrating. Maybe when she pulls off, refusing to fall alseep at the breast, you can quickly plop her on your shoulder and bounce or rock her. Mine also will not take a paci or bottle so there is no slipping a paci in. It's amazing though that once you think you've figured out what works for one stage, they go and change it on you!

Thanks coachfun! I had really tried to wean her from ergo naps (winter! she's 17 pounds!) and for the mornings she was doing well: shades, lullabies, nursing in rocking chair, sleep for 1 hour in mommy's arms. Now, the fuss and it's back to the ergo. I won't fight her on it after subjecting her to way too many unnecessary tears 2 days ago out of my own frustration. I'll try bouncing without the ergo like you suggested. It might make putting her down a lot easier. Usually I'll wear her in the house but I always worry if that means she's not getting a "deep enough" sleep.

Clearly I've read too many sleep books and have turned in to a doubting worrying stressed not as good for my baby mom.

Sigh.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

I am right there with you Mama so ((hugs)). I have to bounce the baby to sleep and can't even put him down or he wakes up this has been going on for months and I have a pre-schooler to take care of as well, so we just manage to keep him asleep while I'm babywearing and hope thats enough but lately it hasn't been and I really don't like sleep training He won't nurse to sleep unless he's reeeaaallllly drowsy. I hope we can change things up eventually because this isn't sustainable- getting heavy as well.
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12