Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Delay in Preemies

Default Delay in Preemies

Does anyone else with a preemie have any issues with developmental delays or late hitting milestones?

Default Re: Delay in Preemies

My daughter was born at 35 weeks and she has not experienced any problems through being premature. She is now a sweet loving two year old with the normal toddler tantrums!

Marcie,

I have had lots of experience in delays of preemies. Some of it is my own experience with my DD. The rest of my experience comes from helping run the support group for our NICU. Was there a specific aspect of development you were referring to?

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMama View Post
    Marcie,

I have had lots of experience in delays of preemies. Some of it is my own experience with my DD. The rest of my experience comes from helping run the support group for our NICU. Was there a specific aspect of development you were referring to?
    Not really a question about it, just wondering who was in the same boat we are in. Madeline has gross motor skill delays and is working with a PT and DS.

I am a huge fan of early intervention. Mariah was lucky to have a great PT and OT.

I am a huge fan of early intervention. Mariah was lucky to have a great PT and OT.
    Our PT, OT and DS are just great, I love them all. She doesn't like her PT though because she makes her work - LOL, her PT gets yelled at every time she comes over to the house to work with her. Our schedual right now is every other week, all 3 of them come out, each a diffrent day.

We went through about 6 months of Mariah yellling at her PT everytime she saw her. It was exactly as you described. She was pushing her to work hard and Mariah really wanted to play with her. Mariah always had her PT at 7 am and I still joke with the therapist that I am surprised she didn't turn around and go home after dealing with us.

We went through about 6 months of Mariah yellling at her PT everytime she saw her. It was exactly as you described. She was pushing her to work hard and Mariah really wanted to play with her. Mariah always had her PT at 7 am and I still joke with the therapist that I am surprised she didn't turn around and go home after dealing with us.
    OMG, 7am, that's way to early, Madeline is so not a morning baby. She usually comes out at 10:30 am, and the others are around the same time....mid-morning, early afternoon is her best moods.

My son is 3 years old now, but he was born at 2lbs 9oz (28 weeks.) Throughout his first year he had alot of delays, he got PT and OT. He couldn't sit up on his own until he was around 8 months old, didn't craw until about 10 months old and didn't walk until around 18 months old. He started to get Speech Therapy at 1 year old, because he didn't talk or even babble. He started talking around 2 years old... now we can get him to be quiet. I think that all babies develope different, some preemies don't have delays and some do. But most preemies will have some sort of delay, it just varys on how severe it is.