Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 15month getting frustrated low milk and slow to come

Default 15month getting frustrated low milk and slow to come

hi everyone, thanks in advance. DD was feeding 5 times day and one dream feed. she's getting to the point where milk doesn't come quick enough and she looses interest. right boob especially bad and hasn't worked for 2 days now. left boob taking longer and longer to let down.
    anything i can do? i really don't want to wean. neither does she as she's still asking for it regularly.
    previous history: 1st DD died before could feed, fed this DD fine really except milk never been that forthcoming or abundant.
    I have a bit of a bug at moment - that could be making things worse?
    Very sad Mumma because i wanted to feed for the long term!
    thanks again

Default Re: 15month getting frustrated low milk and slow to come

Yes, if you're sick, it can certainly cause a tempoary decrease in supply. 15 month olds are very busy. What you can do is offer the breast lots. Don't feel you always have to wait for her to ask.

If it makes you feel better, my DS went on a nursing strike at 10 months and again at 2 years. Both times I was told by many that it must be his time to wean. We got past those bumps in the road and he is now 4 and still nursing.

Main thing to do is keep offering lots, at night too, if possible. Also try not to get too overzealous with the solids. Let her feed herself solids if possible, rather than spoon feeding solids into her. If you want an extra boost, you can try herbs.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf..._galactagogue/
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

If your LO is still happy to nurse, and keeps asking to nurse, there's no reason to think you need to wean. You may, however, need to accept that at this point your LO is less interested in nursing as food and more interested in it as comfort. I am willing to bet that if she spent sufficient time at the breast, she could trigger a letdown. But she's not so patient anymore and she wants to run off and play. This loss of interest is a natural element of the weaning process- keep in mind that this process may go on for months or years!

If you want your child to continue to receive breastmilk and want to keep her interested in the breast, here are some things you can do:
    - Offer to nurse more often
    - Take her into a low-distraction environment, like a darkened, quiet bedroom, when it's time to nurse
    - Try herbal galactogogues (fenugreek, oatmeal) to boost supply
    - Consider pumping up your milk volume using a pump, if you feel baby is no longer doing a good job of maintaining supply- more milk usually means easier letdowns

Some things that can impact supply, in addition to baby losing interest/becoming distracted:
    - Menstruation- many moms notice a big but temporary dip in supply in the week or so before their periods
    - Pregnancy
    - Illness- usually causes only a temporary drop, as long as baby is willing to nurse your supply back up
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks ladies, i hope we can get over this. she does still want milk but it just doesn't come :-( she cries for it but then eventually has to go off when it's not coming. even when it's sleep time there doesn't seem to be the milk.
    i have stopped the dreamfeed for now - because i end up just waking her up then there's no milk and then she wakes properly and cries and there's no milk.... so i am a bit reluctant to try in the night.
    milk has always been very low volume and any type of drop off i really struggle with. I'm trying the oatmeal and fenugreek now thanks for the advice on that.
    can't pump i'm afraid! tiny weeny boobs get lost in pump and have never managed to produce a drop! (have tried and tried and tried and tried!!!!)
    have had periods for 10 months now and no probs since, def not preggo.
    will treat as strike for now and offer as much as poss although she is getting cross with it all.
    otherwise i guess i'll have to get to grips with the weaning idea
    thanks again
    x

I have had luck when my little one is distracted by side lying and letting her watch a video on my phone or iPad. She is held captive by the video and nurses along with it. I'm sure this approach is terrible on lots of levels, but it gets her to stay on much longer then usual.

many thanks. don't have technology but do have books etc. tried it and they are a bit distracting. will keep at it though! she's wanting more cuddles to make up for the lack of milk. hoping the fenugreek will kick in soon!

Try starting with the book, toy, etc. and lying down next to her. Once she is interested in the book, just sneak in the breast while continuing to read. That's my tactic with the iPad and my DD will turn enough towards me to latch on while still paying attention to the movie. It's always "no pressure". I just stay "exposed" and close and then let her go for it on her own. If you can get her latched on but still a little distracted, she might suck enough to stimulate some let-downs and increased supply. Good luck.

If she's not nursing and you aren't pumping, your milk will dry up and she will be more likely to not want it. Any way you can hand express? As per the pumping angle, you can get smaller horns. Herbs and oatmeal do work, but only in conjuction with milk removal.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.