Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 mo old wants Solids more than breast!

Default Re: 8 mo old wants Solids more than breast!

I would go further and say you did NOTHING wrong. You had a concern, went to get more information on it, and made a decision about how to proceed. That's exactly what you need to do as a parent.

Personally, based on what you describe, I think it's possible that everything was just fine. Some babies are really efficient at nursing, and can get the breastmilk nutrition they need from as few as 5 nursing sessions per day. But I agree with the previous posters that at this age, it's best to err on the side of caution and back off on the solids if it seems to be interfering with nursing, since that's the priority right now.

You're not a bad Mom at all. You had a gut feeling that you might need to change things. You were right! So you're a GOOD Mom.

Also keep in mind that she's probably busier these days. Rolling, maybe crawling? Being more physically active, breast fed babies weight gain often slows at this age. Yes, she should have gained something, but slowing is normal. So please don't beat yourself up.

It's common for people to think that they want "real food". However it's the discovery of it, not a hunger for it. Two very different things. The true "real food" is your breast milk.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I am still really struggling to keep her breastfeeding as often as she needs to. Most days I have been trying for ten times a day BUT when I am doing freelance from home(which I am now) its really hard for me to do that. Because she just isn't interested. I am trying to pump more and give her breastmilk in her sippy cup which she loves, but I am not a very good pumper. Even on the days when I do get her to breast feed ten times she is probably only sitting with me for 5 minutes and maybe 2 of those minutes are spent nursing. I am concentrating on nursing her as long as possible before and right after naps because she doesn't nurse well before bed at night either. I am certainly not going to give up on nursing, but I am preparing myself for a possibility of her weaning early. She is still eating a lot but like I said before, ONLY after nursing. It does feel like she is gaining weight too so that is good.