Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 mo old wants Solids more than breast!

Default 8 mo old wants Solids more than breast!

My daughter is 8 months old and likes solids more than breastmilk. She still nurses about 7 times a day but only because I insist on it- in other words she isn't demanding it- and she doesn't really seem to take much for about 1/2 of those feedings. I can offer her the breast and she will nurse for maybe like 30 seconds, I will put her back on and she will nurse for another 15 seconds and then want to play. But if I offered her food right after that, she would eat and eat and eat and eat, never seeming to fill up, until finally I would take her out and breast feed her instead of giving her more solids and she would do the same thing, 15 seconds tops. She nurses well in the morning, though not always, and she nurses well maybe one other feeding of the day. She doesn't even love to nurse at night. I know all the stats on breastmilk and solids but I am starting to feel like I should follow her lead. I am not suggesting that I want to stop breastfeeding, more that I want to stop feeling guilty for giving her as many solids as she gets. I don't know.

Default Re: 8 mo old wants Solids more than breast!

How much solids are you giving her in a day?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

how long in seconds/minutes was she nursing before this? approximately? When did this start?
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

I feed her solids between 2 and 3 times a day. If I let her (usually I don't) she will eat half an avocado and an entire banana and then several ounces of yogurt. If I do let her eat a lot its usually at night. I always nurse her before and after we eat. Usually, if I nurse her right before, she still eats huge amounts. Before solids and actually up until fairly recently she was probably nursing for 5 minutes and it seemed like she was getting a good amount of milk.Now she usually will nurse for between 5-10 minutes twice a day and for 30 seconds to a minute 3 or 4 times a day and then in the morning she nurses for about 15 minutes. She is really tall and has a GIANT head but her weight is average.

This might not come out right, but if you don't want her to have so many solids, then stop giving them to her. If you would prefer her to nurse, then back off on the solids and nurse more.
    Tracie

Mommy to

At 8 months, I still only feed solids once a day. Breast milk is complete and balanced. Replacing breast milk with solids, since you can't get the variety they need, requires more solids. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

I would back off to once or twice a day, always nursing first. Remember that the first year of solids is about discovery, not nutrition.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Okay, I would agree with the other replies. Its best for her to get the most of her nutrition out of breastmilk at this age. If you don't give it to her, she will be more hungry to nurse I would think.

I ALWAYS nurse before I give her solids. However, it turns out she hasn't gained any weight in two months so I am going to stop solids during the day and just give them to her at night. I am going to head back to nursing every two hours until she starts to gain. I feel like a really bad mom. I wish I hadn't given her so much solid food but she just loved it so much and my husband (while super supportive of breastfeeding) felt that the solids were good for her and that she was "hungry for them". Uh. I feel terrible.

Hey - you're not a bad mom!!!!
    Tracie

Mommy to

PLEASE don't feel you're a bad mom!!! You're not!!! Making decisions about a child as the child's mother is a hard thing to do and NO ONE gets it right all the time! Its okay! We have to learn somehow. So don't beat yourself up. Really! Don't do it!

How is your baby doing?