Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to wean from pump/Dom/fenugreek?

Default How to wean from pump/Dom/fenugreek?

I'm currently pumping once a day, taking more milk plus and taking domperidone (20mg x 3 per day) and would like to start weaning off of them. Which should I start with and how slowly should I go?

(I started all of this after being advised by a reputable BF helper that my "flow" had likely slowed due to things I had done to deal with oversupply. Baby was super fussy during feedings and I was a bit concerned over some weight gain slowdown. Baby was also found to have a posterior tongue tie, which we clipped. I still have questions about how well she transfers when I'm not offering an oversupply - which is what I artificially created with all of the herbs/Dom/etc. She tends to be a very laid back nurser, to the point that her suck/latch even feels very soft. She's definitely happier now that my flow is fast again, but I don't know that it's wise to keep an oversupply on purpose? Or should I?)

Default Re: How to wean from pump/Dom/fenugreek?

bumping...
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

well, what do you mean by "oversupply"? is it creating problems for you? is the issue just that you want to get off the drugs and extra pumping?

how is weight gain?
    and how old is your baby again?

sorry we missed this post -
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks ladies!

As far as oversupply, it isn't causing any problems at all. And, really, it might not be oversupply at all...I can just usually pump 1-2 ounces after she feeds.

I guess I just want to wean from the dom/fenugreek/pumping (just once a day) if I can. The thing is, at least a couple months ago, she really seems to prefer the faster flow. I wonder if my supply will deplete a bit after I wean from those things? I don't think she's a very strong nurser...her suck has always felt very soft, etc. We've seen an IBCLC who didn't say her suck felt problematic, though.

Sorry, I'm kind of all over the place.

Basically, I want her to remain a happy feeder with good weight gain (it's been pretty steadily averaging 5oz per week since 2 months - she just turned 4 months). Is it problematic to stay on Dom and fenugreek long term? I'd love to do without the one pumping a day (I have a rented symphony that I could return), though...

Maybe the question really is...when do you know it's time to wean from Dom/fenugreek?

Seems like you should be able to wean from all 3 things. Your LO is old enough that she should be able to maintain your supply at the right level through nursing alone, especially now that her tongue tie is long behind her. She may be a bit fussy if your supply adjusts downwards to a level which is closer to her needs, but that's not too high a price to pay for ditching the supplements and pumping.

Sucking doesn't have to feel strong in order to be effective.

Don't be surprised if your baby's weight gain slows down a bit in the next few months. As babies get into the middle of their first year, and become increasingly mobile, more calories go into action than are packed on as fat. All that kicking/rolling/reaching/sitting/pre-crawling/crawling is going to burn a lot of energy. So it's normal to see your LO's weight-for-age percentile drop down by the 6 month visit.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks!! Is there a protocol for weaning? Any one first? Go slowly?

I don't think there's any protocol for weaning from any of these things, except maybe the Domperidone. When I weaned from Reglan, I decreased the amount I was taking by 1 pill per day per week- in other words, I went from 3 pills a day to 2 pills a day, maintained that level for 1 week, and then went to 1 pill per day for a week, and then none.

My preference, in your shoes, would be to wean from the Dom first, since pumping and fenugreek are utterly harmless- they're not pharmaceuticals, YKWIM? Once I weaned from the Dom, I'd take out the fenugreek next, and then I'd get rid of the pumping. Go nice and slow and you're less likely to slip back into problematic territory. Good luck!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks!!!