Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Good foods for constipated baby?

Default Good foods for constipated baby?

Can anyone give me some good suggestions for foods that will help with a borderline constipated 9 month old? DD is having some trouble pooping but loves her solids and DH loves feeding them to her
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Default Re: Good foods for constipated baby?

prunes or prune juice
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I'd go with prunes, or pears. NOT bananas! Apples can be constipating too apparently. Prunes would be #1 choice and for my kids when needed its readily available as baby food for like 50 cents a jar just prunes and water.

ETA: don't go overboard on the prunes etc or you get the opposite effect...been there done that
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

"P" fruits. Plums, prunes, peaches, aPricots. Also cherries, blueberries, grapes, and raisins. If that doesn't work, a little flax seed meal should definitely get things moving.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies hopefully that will help the poor little girl! I remember DS having a little bit of trouble but backing off always helped.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Yeah. THe more breastmilk in these situations the better.

Way too lazy for formula

Kiwi works for us. I remember it being mentioned for constipation in one of my pregnancy books.

I never see this mentioned, but beets were our go-to food for constipation when DD would still eat purees. They always worked and she LOVED them. We only noticed they worked because she ate them so much that when she would go a few days without them we notice she'd get constipated, and then when we'd get back to them she'd magically not be constipated. We're not brave enough to try them as finger foods. I'm all for letting her make a mess, but I don't think I can handle that!

Poop looks very scary, though, if you try it. Our nanny was freaked out when we didn't warn her!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.