Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not sure of health visitor advice - help!

Default Not sure of health visitor advice - help!

Hi, my little Joe is almost 7 months old and has been exclusivly breastfed on demand. He still shows no intesrest in food, sucks the occasional piece of toast but mainly just plays with it and still wakes every 2-3 hours at night for feeds (feeds quickly and goes straight back down)

Now my health visitor has told me to make him wait longer in the day so his appetite will be keener to get him to eat solids and to also make my husband get up with him in the night and just give him water and put him down again. Also she says he should be in his own room and I should rearrange our other children to accomplish this.

I'm dubious, it goes against my instincts but am I wrong? should I be trying these things? All except rearranging the children in bedrooms - that's not going to happen unless I want ww3 started!

Default Re: Not sure of health visitor advice - help!

Yeah, you should ignore your instincts and start WWIII. Definitely.

NOT!

Seriously, where do these HVs come up with this ridiculous advice?!??? The advice you got is for a mom who is desperate to wean as fast as possible, in advance of the recommended 1 year minimum of breastfeeding. There's no reason to make your baby go longer between nursing sessions in order to get him to eat solids, because until year breastmilk is supposed to make up the majority of the baby's diet, with solids for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. Solids do not become nutritionally necessary until around the first birthday, with many babies continuing to be mostly breastfed until well into their second year.

With respect to night nursing, there's nothing wrong with it. It's normal for a not-even-7-month-old baby to nurse at night, and it helps you maintain a good daytime milk supply. No reason to put your baby in his own room, no reason to offer water. If you're exhausted by frequent night-wakings, there are things you can do and we'll be happy to suggest them- but they're all about encouraging more sleep independence, not about denying your child milk at night!

Ignore the HV. And maybe call whoever supervises the HVs? The advice you were given was detrimental, not neutral, and who knows how many moms out there are being driven crazy by it and wrecking their chances of achieving their breastfeeding goals because of it???
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Just so you know you're not alone: my 7 mo is exclusively breastfed, feeds on demand; wakes every few hours at night to nurse; sleeps in the room with me; has intermittent interest in solids (last night made it clear that she was NOT interested!). Presumably I would get the same lecture from the health visitor, which I would then proceed to ignore! Sounds like you and baby are doing great.

Thanks for your support :-D it's good to know I'm not alone! Where can I find the info on breastfeeding till one so I can go armed to the HV next time :-D also any tips on getting more sleep would be appreciated! Baby might be thriving but it sometimes feels like I'm just surviving lol

is there any issue with weight gain or babies overall health that is making the hv concerned?

ok how many times have we heard on these boards tales of health visitors who gave unsupportive breastfeeding 'advice?' and the get baby in own room advice goes against current SIDS prevention recommendations does it not?
    is this the norm or are we only hearing about outliers? How are these folks training?

maybe your hv was trying to give you suggestions to help you get more sleep and actually her advice had nothing to do with your baby’s health. if you ask for parenting advice, you will get it, and you will not always like it!

every child health organization of any good repute i know of suggests that babies are nursed until AT LEAST a year. some say at least two years. and that solids should be 'introduced' at around 6 months. some introductions take longer than others!

for more detailed info on introducing solids i suggest the book the womanly art of breastfeeding 8th edition.

as far as sleep goes, you can try the book the no-cry sleep solution but really frequent wakings at night are entirely normal at this age. i would suggest, as much as possible, rather than trying to make baby do something baby may not be developmentally ready for, instead, you try to take the occasional nap, go to bed early, laying in bed later. while husband deals with older kids. that will get you much more sleep than 'making' your husband get up in the middle of the night which will probably result in you both being up and tired. let husband get a good nights sleep if he will take care of breakfast the next day so you can lie in with baby. And bring baby into bed with you if you can do so safely.

Good website about normal infant sleep. Lots of info if you explore around. http://www.isisonline.org.uk/

good advice here...but also wanted to chime in to say that I'm on my 3rd baby (also 7 months) and none of my babies were eating solids at 7months, this one is not ready (and I am thinking maybe around a year or so as it seems to be when mine are "ready") and she sleeps with me, breastfeeds on demand, in my room, etc.

Do what you think is best for YOUR family! Even if it means NOT doing these types of things!
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Oh and I like lllmeg's sleep advice! Its very true. The World health organization reccomends breastfeeding 2 years and AAP until 1 I believe. I've nursed mine each 2 1/2 years (then my milk dried up because of pregnancy). LOTS of women are nursing for that first year at least but I find they don't usually tell others unless I tell them first.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!