Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The best way to supplement

Default Re: The best way to supplement

Oh and BTW the first feed was all BM because I used the expressed stuff for the bottle and next feed I will also used EBM so that will be all BM too!

Definitely okay to have you pump output decline when you've been nursing more. In fact, it's great: it means that the baby is managing to extract lots of milk while nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

super!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

So today has gone ok.... Definitely had less formula and nursed a ton.... Two questions I only pumped a measly 1.5 oz because I think he drank it all... Is it ok to skip some pump sessions since I think he is getting most of my milk and it would really lighten my load... Secondly I might try the sns again do I put him on the breast without it fir a big first!
    Thanks!!!

I don't want you to pump less than you would be nursing if you were EBF. I think you posted that you are only feeding your baby 5-7 times a day? That is not enough to keep your supply up. You need to have breast stimulation AT LEAST 10-12 times in a 24hour period. And 3hours is the longest you should be going without it. So if you are getting a longer stretch like that at night you need to make it up during the day.

Way too lazy for formula

i agree with djsmom, at least until you're providing ALL his milk by nursing/supplementing with milk, don't dial back the pumping. if your goal is to get to all milk/no formula, then you've got to push on till you reach that before dialing back the pumping. sorry - i know that's not what you wanted to hear!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I know you don't actually expect to ever provide all his milk. And I am OK with that. But in order to still be able to provide 50% or better you need to do the work. Especially considering the things working against you, you need to put in the work. NOW, IF you get to the point where you are actually getting the baby to the breast 10-12 times in a 24hour period of time, then you can drop the pumping. BUT I don't know it that is possible because formula takes longer to digest so I am not sure that you will ever get the signals as often as you would if you were EBF.

Way too lazy for formula

oh, right - sorry lielush, i didn't remind myself of your situation before that last response. agree with djs.mom.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Sorry I should of mentioned that since I dialed back in the formula he nursed a lot more. Yesterday he nursed 11 times for a total of 4 hours (I have an app). He goes on the breast to suck for comfort not just when he's hungry but I am counting that as I still hear him swallowing. So I guess my question is is it better to have him on the breast sucking or pumping because I had to skip some pumping sessions yesterday because if all the time he was in the breast. Also he is sleeping longer through the night.. He slept for 8 hours last night. If I am getting in enough sessions through the day can I go that long without pumping at night or do I need to get up to pump? 8 hours seems like a long time to go without nurising or pumping... I think I just need a rough routine so I don't always go into anxiety mode that I am losing my supply
    Thanks for all the help!

i would say if he's nursing 10-12 times in a day, it's better to do that than pump. but i'd also probably not want to go 8 hours at night without either - maybe if you have a really good day like this one, give yourself a 6 hour stretch? safer would be 5 hours.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13