Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble producing milk beyond 8 months...

Default Trouble producing milk beyond 8 months...

Hello,

I have a 2.5 year old son that I nursed for 8 months. For the first 6 months, I overproduced milk. I was a cow...pumping more than 20 oz every hour PLUS on demand nursing. I filled my freezer full and even donated some. Around 8 months, my supply completely tanked. I had several consultations with 2 prominent LLL leaders in my area. She determined that my supply was almost nil and, after helping me work through means to boost my supply, my son was placed on formula.

My daughter is now 8 months old. History pretty much repeated itself....heavy overproduction followed by a complete drop despite assistance from fenugreek, Mother's Milk tea, Domperidone, etc. I have now used up the last of my stored supply and have had to turn to formula.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I feel I've exhausted all resources. I've never heard of a woman's body producing a years worth of milk in just 6 months and quitting.

Default Re: Trouble producing milk beyond 8 months...

Haven't experienced this. My only thought is, could you be pregnant or about to get your period back? Those sorts of major hormonal shifts can do a number on milk production. Otherwise, in general, if you are feeding on demand you should be continuing to produce plenty...maybe you should get hormone levels checked by a doctor? Things like thyroid problems can cause milk production issues, too. I don't know, I hope somebody else is along to help you soon!
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

It's normal for women to not FEEL full after a certain time, and also not to be able to pump as much, but it usually doesn't mean their supply is actually low - baby is often still getting plenty. Why did you believe your supply tanked? Was it your pumping output at work? (Pumps do get older and need replacement parts to maintain their suction, and 8 months is a common time for those complaints.) Was your daughter acting hungry? What made you think your supply was lower and started you supplementing?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

this is a very odd pattern, and i think it more likely that it SEEMED Like you had low supply than that you ACTUALLY had low supply. particularly with that oversupply.

how much has your daughter been nursing? on demand? is she eating solids? in other words, i'm wondering if anything changed that might have reduced demand. any chance you're pregnant? did you start a new hormonal contraception? jomo's questions about are good too.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

No contraception, started cycles at 6 months PP. I noticed a definite shift in nursing when I would sit literally for over an hour with her nursing. Then she started dropping weight from about 6.5 months to 8 months. She would always be hungry even with solids. Not pregnant. I know I wouldn't feel full and I don't use a pump to determine supply. Like I said, the hour long feedings and weight loss tipped me off. For instance, my day would be nursing at 7am, 9am, 10am, 12pm, 2pm, etc. Nearly every hour for an hour. Thank God for babywearing...
    She lost almost 4 lbs (went from 20lbs to 16lbs between 6.5 and 8 months)

hm, ok, clearly not good! i am puzzled about why this happened. even more so that it happened twice.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

What a real head-scratcher. Did anything in your life change? Started a new birth control, started eating different foods? Baby sleeping through the night? Any infections? How often are you nursing?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

This is definitely a head-scratcher! I'd be curious about possible physiological underpinnings for this loss of supply. The thing that springs to my mind is thyroid issues, either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. Both are common in postpartum women.

You mentioned using Domperidone and fenugreek to boost supply- did you ever try pumping in addition to nursing? Increasing stimulation to and milk removal from the breast are usually better supply increasers than herbs or drugs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How is your nutrition? Are you taking a prenatal vitamin still? Do you take in lots of fluids? My supply started to decrease (though not nearly as much as what you are describing) and I upped my water intake and focused on my own personal nutrition and it seemed to do the trick. The only thing I am thinking other than this is that maybe your period has something to do with it, since it started around 6 months and that is when your supply started to decrease right?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    This is definitely a head-scratcher! I'd be curious about possible physiological underpinnings for this loss of supply. The thing that springs to my mind is thyroid issues, either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. Both are common in postpartum women.
    I'm wondering about this too. Or a hormonal issue, maybe.

It's very strange!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.