Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you maintain supply as baby gets older?

Default Re: How do you maintain supply as baby gets older?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*seanmckenzie View Post
    Hello to everybody! This is the first time I have posted to this website and I hope that with the help and support of all here that I can get some solid helpful advice for my beautiful wife and beautiful 5 month old baby girl (and myself), we are new parents!. I must admit we have been somewhat hesitant on reaching out to LLL, the principal reason being that--while we are energetic and loyal supporters of breastfeeding and other natural rearing methods--many of our acquaintances and local LLL members who are like ourselves breastfeeding parents, have an air of elitism and exclusivity towards parents such as ourselves who can't quite go "all natural" as it were. An example of that is for instance the fact that my wife must use a nipple shield in order for our little one to properly latch and feed, while it is frowned upon by the "elites" as being "artificial" and "unnatural", it is either that or immediately go to another "artificial" source such as a bottle. I am curious if there are other parents who feel as we do about these matters.

I apologize for the somewhat long-winded introduction but I felt it somewhat necessary, we just want help not condemnation. Now on to the reason I am posting; my wife has recently seen drastic reduction in her supply for the past two or so weeks and it has both of us somewhat concerned as we normally get on average 5oz per breast and have been pumping approx. every other day with our "Medela Swing" pump after each feeding to get out whatever is leftover. It seems now she is only getting 5oz between both breasts now; the milk takes much longer to come in than it used to. We have taken pregnancy tests and at this point we are not pregnant. If there isany advice on how to increase her supply or any guidance on why or what might be causing the issue, we would appreciate the help.
    Hi seanmckenzie, you will have better luck getting responses to your particular questions if you start a new thread. At the top of the "Breastfeeding Your Infant" forum, there is a button called "Post New Thread." I can assure the ladies on these forums are very helpful and not elitist at all!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

My DD started sleeping through the night on her own at 13 weeks. One morning I woke up at 5, ready to feed her, and she slept on and on...9 hours straight, when the longest stretch I'd got was 5 (which, I know, is STTN). I pumped 3 times, I was so engorged. For a glorious 10 weeks, she (mostly) continued, giving me 7-9 hour sleep stretches. I'd wake up, pump the side she'd nursed last, and a bit from the one she's be nursing from at next feed. Between 22 and 23 weeks, it all went downhill, and she's been waking at least once, usually several times a night, since then. She's not a self-soother yet...needs the boob to fall asleep if she's not in the car or stroller, so she was putting a lot of demand...my supply was fine. I don't pump anymore in the morning unless she gives me a rare long stretch. All I know is, her weight is steadily increasing, she has at least 8 wet cloth diapers a day, and poops every two or three days. I offer the breast all the time, and she lets me know when she wants it (sometimes 5 minutes after she last refused, cheeky monkey). Your body will adjust if your LO sleeps through, and then stops sleeping through.

I hope tonight's a longer stretch kind of night...
    FTM to Emmeline Talia, June 14, 2012, , trying to (she likes the ergo and the moby), and

feed on demand. even at night, until you know for every fact that baby is satisfied all day and all night.
    then worry about sleeping through the night.

feed on demand. even at night, until you know for every fact that baby is satisfied all day and all night.
    then worry about sleeping through the night.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vivsmaman View Post
    As tired as I am, I bet both of those moms would give up those long stretches of sleep for the chance to nurse their babes. Yes, we're exhausted. But we will miss those fluttery sucks when they're gone.
    You are so right...
    I always complain about how tired I am after DD has had a full night of nursing... but I will definitely miss it when she is weaned.
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*seanmckenzie View Post
    "

I apologize for the somewhat long-winded introduction but I felt it somewhat necessary, we just want help not condemnation. Now on to the reason I am posting; my wife has recently seen drastic reduction in her supply for the past two or so weeks and it has both of us somewhat concerned as we normally get on average 5oz per breast and have been pumping approx. every other day with our "Medela Swing" pump after each feeding to get out whatever is leftover. It seems now she is only getting 5oz between both breasts now; the milk takes much longer to come in than it used to. We have taken pregnancy tests and at this point we are not pregnant. If there isany advice on how to increase her supply or any guidance on why or what might be causing the issue, we would appreciate the help.
    As far as the pumping aspect goes, I've had tremendous luck with a rented hospital grade Symphony Medela pump. It's $65/month where I live and well worth it. I figure I'm spending about $2 a day to make sure our sweet girl has plenty of mom's milk while I'm at work. I also hydrate constantly, which everyone says is very important for milk production. For awhile I took Fenugreek, which I got at Whole Foods. Can't confirm it helped with supply, but as an herbal it's supposed to be safe.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12