Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you maintain supply as baby gets older?

Default Re: How do you maintain supply as baby gets older?

how is she gaining otherwise? i probably would have tried to dreamfeed her when she got restless, but if her weight gain is good then it was probably fine.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I just had her at the doctor's and he said it was fine. She gained about 1.5 lbs since last month.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mammadiliv View Post
    On a very well-known website I read today:
    "Typically, by age 4 months or so, babies have started to develop more of a regular sleep/wake pattern and have dropped most of their night feedings."
    Also:
    "At some point between 4 and 6 months, most babies are capable of sleeping through the night. "Through the night" at this age generally means a stretch of 8 to 12 hours."
    While I love the thought of sleeping more, how can you maintain your supply if the above is true? My LO is only 3 months old and I was hoping to breastfeed exclusively till about 6 or 7 months before starting to introduce food, and continue till around 1 year. I feel like now that I've survived the hardest first months (including oversupply, mastitis and thrush!), I need to have an idea of how to maintain my supply as she grows and cuts back on her feedings.
    Thank you very much in advance!
    As PP have said, sleeping through the night is for mythical babies that are very rare, especially if they are breastfed! DD is almost 8.5 months and she has slept more than 4 hours in one stretch maybe a handful of times. Your LO knows that eating all the time keeps up your supply, which is why training them to STTN is NOT good for them or your supply. If she magically decides to do so, your body will regulate, but you may need to pump at night to keep yourself comfy. Personally, I would rather that milk go right into my baby rather than a bottle, so even though long stretches of sleep are great, BFing will only last so long and you'll be happy you stuck it out - through the night and everything!

I'm not training her to STTN at all. We recently had an extended weekend and the last three days of it she slept from anywhere from 8:30-9:00pm until approximately 8:30am without fussing. I didn't think you were to wake a sleeping baby but I also thought that was a very long time for her to go without eating. I did end up waking her once or twice so she didn't go any longer w/o eating. She may not do it again but I have I had to wake her the last two mornings at 5:30am to get ready for work/daycare so she might. Should I just feed her the first time she get restless w/o fussing (possibly around 6 or 7 am)? Or should I set an alarm and wake her in the middle of the night to feed?

I too had oversupply and (double!) mastitis in the first month. My daughter actually does sleep through the night, usually 9-11 hours. Once or twice a week she wakes up between 2-4am to nurse. I have never had any supply issues and judging by the shared oversupply issue, maybe you won't either! If you find that your baby does sleep like mine and it causes a supply issue, there are many many natural and simple things you can do to boost your supply. I wouldn't worry just yet though : )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*agh717 View Post
    I'm not training her to STTN at all. We recently had an extended weekend and the last three days of it she slept from anywhere from 8:30-9:00pm until approximately 8:30am without fussing. I didn't think you were to wake a sleeping baby but I also thought that was a very long time for her to go without eating. I did end up waking her once or twice so she didn't go any longer w/o eating. She may not do it again but I have I had to wake her the last two mornings at 5:30am to get ready for work/daycare so she might. Should I just feed her the first time she get restless w/o fussing (possibly around 6 or 7 am)? Or should I set an alarm and wake her in the middle of the night to feed?
    As long as she's gaining weight fine and your breasts are not uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry about it. I am perplexed though that she would sleep that long without being trained! I remember DS sleeping a few 8 hour stretches, that was when he was younger and tightly swaddled.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*monika.h View Post
    As long as she's gaining weight fine and your breasts are not uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry about it. I am perplexed though that she would sleep that long without being trained! I remember DS sleeping a few 8 hour stretches, that was when he was younger and tightly swaddled.
    OP's baby is where the myth comes from!! there has to be at least 1 very occasional excellent sleeper to hold up as the ideal all of us long for and sometimes aspire to ... right?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If you ever encounter a baby who sleeps 8-12 hours at night and has perfectly predictable wake/sleep patterns during the day, please let me know. I want to see this mythical creature!
    I recently met 2 moms with babies that STTN with 12 hour stretches at playgroups. Both babies were formula fed. One was a working mom with very little support who just couldn't keep up with the pump. She lost her supply at 4 months. The other was told at the hospital that her baby was hungry, her supply was low, and began supplementing before she even left for home. I don't think she nursed for longer than 2 weeks.

Both moms got silent and stiff when the subject of nursing came up. One mom even moved her seat away from me when I began to nurse. As tired as I am, I bet both of those moms would give up those long stretches of sleep for the chance to nurse their babes. Yes, we're exhausted. But we will miss those fluttery sucks when they're gone.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vivsmaman View Post
    I recently met 2 moms with babies that STTN with 12 hour stretches at playgroups. Both babies were formula fed. One was a working mom with very little support who just couldn't keep up with the pump. She lost her supply at 4 months. The other was told at the hospital that her baby was hungry, her supply was low, and began supplementing before she even left for home. I don't think she nursed for longer than 2 weeks.

Both moms got silent and stiff when the subject of nursing came up. One mom even moved her seat away from me when I began to nurse. As tired as I am, I bet both of those moms would give up those long stretches of sleep for the chance to nurse their babes. Yes, we're exhausted. But we will miss those fluttery sucks when they're gone.
    that's so sad.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Hello to everybody! This is the first time I have posted to this website and I hope that with the help and support of all here that I can get some solid helpful advice for my beautiful wife and beautiful 5 month old baby girl (and myself), we are new parents!. I must admit we have been somewhat hesitant on reaching out to LLL, the principal reason being that--while we are energetic and loyal supporters of breastfeeding and other natural rearing methods--many of our acquaintances and local LLL members who are like ourselves breastfeeding parents, have an air of elitism and exclusivity towards parents such as ourselves who can't quite go "all natural" as it were. An example of that is for instance the fact that my wife must use a nipple shield in order for our little one to properly latch and feed, while it is frowned upon by the "elites" as being "artificial" and "unnatural", it is either that or immediately go to another "artificial" source such as a bottle. I am curious if there are other parents who feel as we do about these matters.

I apologize for the somewhat long-winded introduction but I felt it somewhat necessary, we just want help not condemnation. Now on to the reason I am posting; my wife has recently seen drastic reduction in her supply for the past two or so weeks and it has both of us somewhat concerned as we normally get on average 5oz per breast and have been pumping approx. every other day with our "Medela Swing" pump after each feeding to get out whatever is leftover. It seems now she is only getting 5oz between both breasts now; the milk takes much longer to come in than it used to. We have taken pregnancy tests and at this point we are not pregnant. If there isany advice on how to increase her supply or any guidance on why or what might be causing the issue, we would appreciate the help.