Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning Question - Go Down To Bedtime Only and HORMONES!!

Default Weaning Question - Go Down To Bedtime Only and HORMONES!!

I am nursing my 14 month old only twice a day - first thing in the morning and right before bed at night.

I would like to decrease this to bed time only. Right now, I nurse from the left side in the morning and from the right side at night. Do I just start alternating sides for each bedtime nurse (i.e., left side one night and right side the next night)?

Also, I've had periods for about 6 months now. I don't know about any of you guys, but the day before my period is AWFUL!! I am in the worst mood ever!!! It is terrible, and I am not pleasant to be around. It only lasts for a day. Could this be related in any way to nursing??

Thanks for your help!!!

Default Re: Weaning Question - Go Down To Bedtime Only and HORMONES!

Definitely alternate breasts for a while, and be ready to offer both at bedtime if you feel like one side is getting uncomfortably full or if you come down with a plugged duct (they often crop up when you're weaning). After a couple weeks of alternating, your supply will probably be so low that it won't matter whether you alternate or not.

A horrible mood the day before your period is really normal, and I think that PMS gets worse with age, rather than with breastfeeding. In my 20s, I would be cranky for a day or two before my period arrived. In my 30s, it's more like a week of awful moodiness!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I definitely think my period and the PMS that goes with it got WAY WORSE after birth. WAY WORSE.

Way too lazy for formula

Ugh. My periods were heavier, longer, and my PMS a little more severe after I gave birth as well.

Incidentally, I could track my cycles by just noting the days I couldn't STAND breastfeeding. I would be totally fine (well, mostly) with nursing my toddler for 25 days, then BAM, I couldn't believe I was still doing it and why hadn't I just weaned this kid already? Just. Stop. Touching. Me. Then a few days later, it would be fine again. I don't think breastfeeding worsens PMS, but I know my PMS did impact my breastfeeding!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Ugh. My periods were heavier, longer, and my PMS a little more severe after I gave birth as well.

Incidentally, I could track my cycles by just noting the days I couldn't STAND breastfeeding. I would be totally fine (well, mostly) with nursing my toddler for 25 days, then BAM, I couldn't believe I was still doing it and why hadn't I just weaned this kid already? Just. Stop. Touching. Me. Then a few days later, it would be fine again. I don't think breastfeeding worsens PMS, but I know my PMS did impact my breastfeeding!
    same here! its eerie
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog