Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: daycare routine

Default daycare routine

My 5 mo is just starting at daycare this week after a couple of months of being home with daddy after I went back to work. When she was at home, I would nurse on demand in the morning before work, then pump on my way to work in the car, then every 2-3 hours after that.

The daycare is a 10 minute walk from my office and I have a flexible work schedule, so I feel really lucky that most days I'll be able to go over and nurse at lunchtime whenever she's hungry. Her teachers are super accommodating about this and are happy to call me when she's hungry around lunch time. They also said I could call before I come, or I could come at a pre-set time and they will plan for that... I'm not sure what is best.

My office is a 30 minute drive from my home. So I will probably nurse baby before getting out of bed in the morning, then drive to daycare, nurse her before I leave her there, go back at lunch and nurse again. Then I'd like them to avoid giving her a bottle (or at least avoid a big bottle) close to pick-up time and I can nurse her before I leave with her at the end of the day. My hours at work will be roughly 9-5, so I'm thinking I'll nurse at 8:30, 5:15 and sometime in between.

When should I be pumping then? Mid-morning and mid-afternoon? Does anyone else here have a similar set-up and can share their routine?

Default Re: daycare routine

Iwent to baby at lunch also. I pumped mid am and mid pm nd she had abottle then. Caregivers were instructed not to give bottles close to lunch or pickup time. Good luck
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I also nursed immediately before leaving baby...so like when you arrive at dc in the am
    Proud mom of 2:

Thanks for your replies. So yesterday I nursed her at lunch time and they gave bottles mid-morning and mid-afternoon so I pumped then. Then they had given her a small bottle at 4:15 and I picked her up at 5 and she didn't seem hungry and we were going straight home so I pumped on the way home in the car. I'm glad I did that because she fell asleep and slept for another hour after we got home. And then she was ready to nurse when she woke up. So I may not worry too much about bottles toward the end of the day and just pump on my way home if she doesn't seem hungry. It was great for my DH to be able to spend that time with her but in many ways I'm loving having her at daycare. I thought I was going to be a wreck over putting her in daycare but it's actually wonderful to have her so close and they do so many fun things there. Who knew?

Sounds like everything is working out! That's great!
    Proud mom of 2: