Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Around the clock

Default Re: Around the clock

Oh, I also have an Infantino carrier, but it's very difficult nursing in it.
    OK don't be alarmed but FYI there was an infantino brand carrier-bag style sling that was recalled...gosh, a while ago. A couple of years maybe? Not a safe sling.

as far as the poop goes, my bet is it's due to the formula. Even 5 ounces a day could make a difference...I mean, that is about 20% of your baby's total intake, right? It's going to have an effect.

If your baby is peeing normaly, shows no signs of illness, and not having any other signs of dehydration, that is most likely what it is. Formula does some funky things to poop and can cause constipation.

Here is something else that really worked for me as a new mom trying to cook (I was also learning to cook.) I bought a "five ingredients or less' cookbook. Guranteed very simple and usually fast recipes.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 24th, 2012 at 11:14 PM.

Thank you, lllmeg. I looked up that Infantino sling, and thankfully it isn't the one we have. After experimenting with the various carriers I have, I think the Infantino one is the easiest to nurse in right now. He HATES the sling. I'm going to keep trying to get him in it, but he just tenses up cries when I put him in it. And the infant insert for the ergo carrier makes him too high to nurse. Anyhow, we'll make do.

So, something bittersweet happened last night. DS slept through the night. It's great feeling rested, however I went six hours w/out pumping or nursing. My question is, since you don't know if/when baby is going to wake up, how do you know when to pump? I obviously don't want to go that long without nursing/pumping again but don't want to pump if he's going to wake up in a half hour. I guess I can't really predict that, though.

I've been trying to squeeze in some extra pumping sessions each day so hopefully his supplements can be done with EBM. I already get 2-3oz at night before bed, so I just need another 2-3oz from daytime pumpings, which should not be too hard. I'm concerned about how the formula constipated him.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; October 29th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.

Glad to hear you have 2 crockpots and that my idea for that will help. Double batch anything you can! It really helps a lot and it takes less time than making the same meal again another day- you already have everything out.

About the periods no I haven't noticed a supply dip when I get any spotting, or in the past, with my period (first 2 babies), at all. But perhaps I just didn't notice. I always figure if the baby has enough wet/dirty diapers than the baby is okay and my supply is fine.

I don't know about the other questions so hopefully someone else will answer.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Are thick poops a sign that baby isn't getting enough? I've been able to replace all supplements to EBM, however poop frequency hasn't increased. I know one BM/ week right now is normal, but when he goes it is REALLY thick at first.. Like slightly dry peanut butter (still not pellet like), and as more comes out it progressively becomes softer and softer, ending with runny seedy poop. Which makes sense. My DD had runny, seedy yellow poops everyday, so this is new to me.

Nope. It's a sign that his digestive tract is maturing. And whenever they go longer than a day the poop is generally the color and consistency of peanut butter. It's fine. Do NOT assume that every or ANY change in your child is related to you not making enough milk. It does not serve you. Your baby is going to change EVERYTHING every 3-4 weeks. It has nothing to do with your milk. Not even when he wants to eat non-stop all day. Not even when he starts waking every hour to feed at night. It's all normal. Feed on demand, and pump to maintain supply while away. IF you do that, you will make enough milk. You are fine. Keep Calm and Carry on.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    I've been able to replace all supplements to EBM,
    ROCK ON!! this is fantastic news!!

and djs.mom tells it like it is, but she's right!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

you're doing a great job. Keep it up! Babies have lots of different changes in poops and feeding frequency and poop consistency and how often they poop etc etc...most of the time, like the VAST majority of the time, its totally absolutely normal.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Hi ladies, just wanted to give you an update. I took my son to his daycare for about 6 hours today, and pumped every 2 hours while he was there. I got 3oz each time, which is great! At daycare, he ate 3oz every two hours so I was able to keep up. I was not expecting that. I can't tell you how happy I am! Are blanched nipples without pain a problem?
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; November 5th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.

awesome!

and no, if no pain, i don't think it's a problem ... you mean w hile pumping? it does seem like it's a symptomof an ill-fitting flange or something though.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.