Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 mo only nursed to sleep

Default 9 mo only nursed to sleep

Hi,

We have an active, happy and healthy 9 1/2 month old who mostly breastfeeds and takes bites of solids here and there. She also breastfeeds around 3/4 times during the night.
    Two questions :
    she only falls asleep nursing...people are quick to judge at what a mistake it is that she only nurses to sleep...how she needs to put herself to sleep, etc. And dont believe me when i say that she'll learn in her own time. In the llli book "womanly art of bf", I found comfort reading how in her own time she'll learn to fall asleep w/o nursing....but is it ok that my 9 mo still nurses to sleep? Advice, thanks. Crying wont work in our house...
    Also, people tell me she's waking up at night to eat out of habit and not hunger...how can I know? She seems to be hungry...and gets very upset if I don't nurse. She wakes and only wants to nurse and go right back to sleep. She sleeps in her bed till 1/2 and then again till 4/5 when I usually bring her into our bed.
    Also any thoughts, I'd be happy to read, thanks

Default Re: 9 mo only nursed to sleep

Sounds like you are doing fine. I think between 11 & 12 or 12&13 months I started working on getting him to fall asleep without nursing. But it didn't involve falling asleep on his own. He would nurse and when my breasts were empty I would flip him and spoon him to sleep. So he was learning to fall asleep without nursing, but not without me.

Way too lazy for formula

Nursing to sleep for all naps and night time....

Yeah. Your baby is 9 months old. After the year point you can begin to communicate with them verbally. He was able to understand that boobs needed go night night too. I never didn't nurse him down for naps. I knew he could fall alsleep on his own in that regard. Because when he was 14 months old I went back to work. So he would lay down with my mom and go to sleep with no bottle and no nursing. And at his daycare where he went twice a week he would lay down on a cot with all the other kids and go to sleep. So I never worried about that. I wanted him to practice that at that age because after the year point you begin to work on limits. And one of mine was not night nursing endlessly. So it was both sides, one time and then flip. That's it. And having that limit in place allowed me to continue to nurse him. At the point you are at, nursing on demand is meeting a need. After year a kid who wants to flip back and forth 5 times is expressing a WANT. And it's not a want I shared. One you hit the year thresh hold and your child is eating solids and they aren't soley dependent on you for nutrition, nursing becomes much more a dance than it is now. Now you are just meeting your babies needs. But once you hit that milestone it begins to become much more of a mutual relationship. And you as the mother can begin to set limits.

Way too lazy for formula

Oh, people and their opinions! You have to wonder why it makes people so happy to tell a hard-working mommy "You're doing it wrong".

Forget what people are saying, and focus on how you are feeling. Is nursing to sleep working for you? Are you okay with night-nursing? If you are, then everything is fine. If you're not, then maybe it's time to start working on changing things- though I honestly would not night wean this early. If your baby seems hungry at night, she probably is!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If you are happy, there is no reason to change. Eventually they will stop nursing to sleep and eventually they will wean. My dd nursed to sleep for a long time and now she falls asleep without it. Dont' worry about what other people are telling you, you don't have to tell them or discuss it with them. If they ask "She sleeps great!" and that's the truth
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My baby is the same age as yours and we are in a similar situation, I think that if it works for you and you are happy with your routine you don't need to change anything. My baby is now changing behavior a little bit, when we nurse at night he will stop nursing and try to roll over in my arms, at this point I will put him in his crib and he will fall asleep by himself. He started doing it by himself I didn't introduce or forced this, so I guess they do eventually change, I also believe that it has to do with him not being that comfortable in my arms since he is getting too big. Good luck and you are doing great!

My DS always needed to nurse to sleep at 9 months. Amazingly, despite my neglect, he started sleeping through the night at 18 months and now <gasp> he falls asleep every night without nursing. All without any CIO! It's amazing how they learn to walk and potty train and grow up without needing to be forced into it.

Maybe when people say dumb things like this to you, you can lower your voice, furrow your eyebrows and whisper 'Yes, I'm worried that if I don't put my foot down now, she won't be able to fall asleep without nursing when she's 18 years old.'
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I hear you about the night time wake ups! People say its out of habit, but she'll take the paci if she's not hungry and get even more mad when she's hungry and I try to give it to her. I figure she'll drop the night feedings when shes ready and gets more cals during the day! She usually falls half asleep in the night time. For naps and the first lie down at night, we do a modified CIO with a pacifier and going up in increments so shes knows we're there, but that its time for sleep (she sleeps in her room in her crib). I tried the full blown CIO once and it was awful!!!! Go with your gut - sometimes I miss the days when my DD would nurse and snuggle up with me to nap <3
    Last edited by @llli*blueberrysmom; October 23rd, 2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling

I think you are doing fine too. Go with your instinct.

All my kids woke to nurse and I just let them. Sometimes its for comfort like for teething.

My first nursed to sleep for a long time...can't really remember...but I assure you she's now sleeping fine on her own

It really is true its over SO fast

Enjoy these times and if it works for you turn a deaf ear to the advice!! Don't worry you won't ruin her in any way from nursing at night or nursing to sleep. Really really!
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!