Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping question (about to start working again)

Default Pumping question (about to start working again)

I have a unique situation. I am able to work from home most days of the week and will only have to go into the office once a week. I do have a lengthy commute about 60 miles each way. When I work from home I can go and nurse my LO at daycare. I have some pumped milk in the freezer, so when I have to go into the office I can unfreeze milk and provide that. So here are my questions. How much milk should be provided for about an 8 to 5 day? I am very concerned about him having enough milk while I am away. But I do not want to give to much extra, since it is frozen. I don't want to have to dispose of it. I read in another post to provide about 1 to 1.5 oz per hour. Is a 4 oz bottle for each feeding good? Should it be more or less? Does pumping every 3 hours at work seem sufficient? I was thinking I would pump an hour after I get there and at lunch time. Then I will be very ready to nurse when I get home. Thanks!

Default Re: Pumping question (about to start working again)

I would leave 12-13 oz and I would divide it into 4 bottles. How old is baby? Going to daycare for every feed while working from home, to me seems like a PITA and total waste of your employers time unless DCP is like next door.

As for a pumping schedule, if I had that commute, I'd pump hands free while driving to and from work, and 3 x during work. Just make sure you pump for every missed feeding which in theory would be 3-4 x during the day.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Can you not provide your frozen milk to the daycare? That way they can thaw as needed and you don't have to guess exactly how much your LO will need. Any leftover frozen milk you can take home and put back in the freezer, or leave it there for the next week (if you're not worried about them storing it for you.) Although there are rules of thumb, it's hard to know beforehand exactly how much baby will want. A 3-4 oz bottle seems like a reasonable starting point. DCPs experienced with breastfeeding babies will know to look at the baby while feeding to decide how much to give, but some DCPs just want to be told a set amount. Have them keep a log so you get an idea. If you freeze in small amounts (2-3 oz) then there's less risk of ending up with leftovers that you have to throw away. If your DCP does not have many breastfed babies, be explicit with them about what you want done and emphasize that breastmilk is precious and should not be thrown away! (If they have plenty of experience with breastfed babies, they should know all this - just depends on the daycare. What you don't want is for them to treat your breastmilk like formula and dump extra breastmilk.)

Pumping at work every 3 hours also seems like a good starting point - again you'll have to see when you're doing it how your body is. You might want to start with three pumping sessions in the day - since you have such a long commute the first one could be in the car (there are some recent posts about how to do this - basically using a hands-free bra and a cover/poncho) and that leaves you with two more while you are at work. Personally I pump twice while at work and that works for me, but it depends on your milk supply and your pump output. In your case, you are lucky to have a great situation in that you can nurse your baby six days a week, so you don't have to worry so much about keeping up your supply on the one day you are in the office. But I imagine with the long commute it gets to be a long day away from your baby so three sessions (or even four) might work better.
    Last edited by @llli*bfwmomof3; October 20th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.

I disagree with the above post on a few things: you should be careful about supply even one day per week, 3x pumping over an 11 hour period is the absolute min I would do, more like 4 x at least.

Also I wouldn't start DCP out with a 4 oz bottle, thats the max most babies should really ever drink in one feeding without being overfed, so start smaller.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

My daycare is next door actually and I am paid hourly, so not a waste of my employers time. I just log what I work. It is very flexible. The daycare does not have a large regular refrigerator. It is one of those small dorm room types. So I wouldn't count on their freezer keeping anything frozen. Maybe I should pump at least 3 times at work. I am not certain about this hands free pumping and driving during rush hour. I will read more about that. I do work a part-time schedule, but with the commute that day away feels like a regular 8 hour day.

Maybe a 3 oz bottle would be a better starting point. Most of the babies over there a formula fed, so I just want to make sure I provide what he needs because I don't want it wasted or him overfed.

Perfect then! There is a Kelly mom handout on correctly bottle feeding a BF baby you can print and give them. I would especially do the 3 oz bottles if they are used to FF babies and may not watch hunger cues as closely

Pumping while driving seems nuts I know, but I did it for 2.5 years! Set up your pump with the car adaptor, cover with a nursing cover and you are set.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language