Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Core needle biopsy and breastfeeding

Thumbs down Core needle biopsy and breastfeeding

Hi all

I have a 3 mo baby and atm EBF no bottle yet.

I am having a biopsy on my left breast tomorrow for a lump.
    The Dr said that I cant bfeed from that side for 12-24 hours and have to express to let the blood out.

I wonder if any if you had done this before?

I am a little worried for the feeding part, because I had a major oversupply few wks ago and OALD and took me 4+ weeks to get to this point of being bit more stabilise. I havent introduced bottle to bsby either. Because I have to express to clear the blood and prolly the engorgement, I will try to express as minimal as I can not to stimulate it.

Atm I only feed 1 breast per feed (2-2.5 hrs), and I wonder if I keep ALL the feeding from my 'good' (right) breast for 24 hours, will that create massive oversupply issue? As much as I d like to feed using my left (biopsied) breast, I am not sure how long it ll take to clear the blood. The last resort will be to expres or formula in bottle when its the turn to feed my left breast.

I appreciate any advice and thank you kindly.

Cheers.

Default Re: Core needle biopsy and breastfeeding

First of all, sorry you have to go through that, and sorry you have to do it right now. While I have no personal experience to lend you, I would suggest to pump on that side as though it were your Lo's meal time. You should be able to nurse her on one breast for that amount of time with little long run problems, in my opinion. I would think you may create a little oversupply but not so bad that you couldn't regulate it later. These are only my thoughts, I know more women will chime in.

Good luck with your procedure! Your health has to be number one! I will pray your results are what you want them to be. *hugs*
    First time mommy

I think I'm doing really well. Babies are amazing little creatures and every moment with her is a gift to me.

I'm not political but don't mess with my baby or her meal!

EBF <3 5 months old now
    Co-sharing sleep <3
    BLS when she gives us a thumbs up
    NIP, and she'll wean when she's ready

Did you talk to the doctor who gave you the instruction about your concerns?

Did he say why you can't breastfeed? Normally, it's OK if a baby ingests a bit of blood along with the milk (and I would think that would clear any blood better than pumping?). But I don't know anything about core needle biopsies, so I don't know if this is different for some reason.
    Last edited by @llli*manitobamommy; October 20th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.

Hi Manitobamommy
    Yes the Dr (is a he) actually understand the bfeed issue and therefore advise for expressing to get rid of the blood and engorgement. Though not directly explaining the concern of blood in the milk, I believe it maybe painful (swell/bruise after effect) and he said the time is only a rough estimate, as long as when I express and there's no more blood, I should be ready to bfeed again.

I would really like to bfeed as soon as I can after the biopsy, but not sure if tint of blood is ok for baby's digestion. I have a real trauma with the pump that created o/s.

Cheers

Babies are generally okay with ingesting small amounts of blood, and doing so is not uncommon. I wouldn't worry about baby's digestion.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A little blood in the milk can give a baby gas, but it won't hurt the baby, so don't worry too much about that.

I had a needle core biopsy while breastfeeding when my first baby was four months old. For me, there was never all that much blood in the milk so that wasn't much of a problem - I breastfed soon after the procedure and although the milk was very slightly pink, it didn't seem to bother my baby at all.

What was harder was that the incision site was only a couple inches above the areola, so it was painful and difficult to nurse or pump. And I had a hard time getting the incision to heal, because milk would flow straight out of the incision area everytime my milk let down. So if you run into any of those problems, please PM me!! I have some ideas. You can get through this and keep nursing, mama. I had a hard time with this procedure, much harder than most women, frankly, but I still managed to keep nursing through it.

The lump I had biopsied was benign. I hope you get those same results!! Please keep us posted!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks so much for the info ladies.

JoMo, I will let you know how it goes. I ll pm you if I am stuck with the feeding issues or fistula.

Cross finger mine is just a benign.

Cheers

How are you doing, mama?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hi JoMo
    Had it done yest arvo. The Dr decided not to do core but fine needle, and no local given.
    It wasnt painful (the pricks), but there's soreness until now. If I took panadol its reduced
    No blood in the milk so I have resumed my bfeed yay!
    Results will be in 3 days time.

Cheers

Thinking of you! I'm glad that they did a less invasive procedure! That's great!!!! Hoping for good results.

You can call me JoMo!