Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase issue just discovered...what to do with the stash

Default Lipase issue just discovered...what to do with the stash

I just returned to work and at the advice of a few friends, who clearly do not have the high lipase issue, I started my stockpile early...like when my baby was a few weeks old. My milk smells and tastes nasty and the baby will not drink it. The really old stuff smells more fishy than soapy. The newer bad stuff (like in the end of september) tastes more soapy and doesn't reek as badly but I doubt she'll drink it. We're going to see if she'll drink soapy stuff. Makes me wonder if the fishy stuff is actually rancid because that's kind of what my hands free pumping bra smells like after a couple of days. That milk went straight into the deep freezer after it was pumped. So do you think I should just toss it? She kind of refused to breast feed after she had a bottle of the fishy stuff yesterday (MIL brought her to me to BF at lunch) but did chow down on my boobs later that night after I got home from work. She took a defrosted bottle from 4 days prior. This royally sucks and I seriously want to cry. Not only does it feel like I wasted the time and anxiety over worrying I didn't pump enough then, I wasted all that $$ on the stupid storage bags.

Default Re: Lipase issue just discovered...what to do with the stash

aw, mama, that's rough!!

you can try to mix the soapy with fresh in whatever proportion she'll drink. and if that doesn't work, then bake with it - teething biscuits or whatever.

not sure about the fishy ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks. It may be that it smells fishy to me but certainly tastes very soapy. I also noticed that a bottle that she took okay at 3 pm of frozen stuff from 10/1 (hubby said it was tolerable to her) was really nasty by 7 pm. There was a bit left over so he put it in the fridge. I had also thawed out 2 bottles from late and early sept. The 9/12 bottle didn't smell all that bad when I first thawed it, in fact it smelled and tasted better than the stuff from 9/25 but by 4 pm, they were both really gross so it seems that once thawed, the bottle really deteriorates if not used right then. Is that common? I guess we can't make bottles ahead of time for MIL to use when she watches baby if it's going to go bad that fast. I did a taste test of milk I pumped last night at 10 pm and at 7 am today it was still okay but by 4 pm it was tasting a tad soapy but still smelled okay. I'm going to start scalding my milk on the days I BF her all day but leave MIL the freshly pumped morning milk on the days she watches baby so that she can have something to give baby immediately if the bag she defrosts is gross and baby won't drink it. She can at least have one bottle of nice stuff. Oh and DH had offered the 2 older bottles to her first. She took half an ounce of each before stopping and crying so then he gave her the bag from 10/1 and she drank it so maybe it was a matter of comparison and while it still sucked, she figured it was better than the other junk so she drank 2 oz of that.

So sorry this is so disheartening. I was going to also suggest baking for baby with it.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Looked up teething cookie recipes but they all called for dried milk, not fresh. I was so tempted to bake my oatmeal muffins with the milk a few nights ago but since it was a new recipe, I figured I better follow it with normal ingredients first. Well, sort of since I had to use non-dairy vegan butter and almond milk since baby has a cow's milk protein sensitivity.