Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 mo still swaddling...

Default 6 mo still swaddling...

Hi mommas,

My DD and I have a great nursing relationship. Definitely have a stronger bond than I had with my DS that was formula fed. I do have a question for all of you though. She is 6 months now and still has to be swaddled to take naps and for bed at night. Will she ever grow out of being swaddled? Should I try weaning her out of it or is she okay to still be swaddled? I know this isn't a question about BF, but you moms are so great with advice and I don't have anyone else I know to ask this question.

Also, I have started to slowly introduce baby food to her, which she loves. A couple days ago I just nursed all day, and she always seemed upset that she wasn't satisfied. Then I fed her sweet potatoes for the first time and she ate the whole thing!!! Is her fussiness maybe because she was wanting some more than just breast milk??

Thanks so much mommies!!!

Default Re: 6 mo still swaddling...

I actually started Re-swaddling at about 6 months because he was distracting himself with his hands and arms. We called it "Wrapping" him at that point because we needed to use a sarong to do it. I think he outgrew his 2nd bout with it between 9& 10 months.

Way too lazy for formula

I am wondering if I should go for this. The LO is 6 month. He probably doesn't sleep for more than 1-3 hours all night. But really, it looks better on paper that IRL. I mean, sometimes, every half hour. And I am just chalking it up to teething. I guess. So we nurse round the clock. And that's cool because he has really been distracted during the day. But if I did swaddle at night, do you think it would hurt my supply if he slept longer than normal?
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin

No. But I also don't thing that if your baby is teething that swaddling will keep him asleep. They nurse because they are pain. It helps if they are keeping themselves awake from hand activity or twiddling. But the teething, that hurts. So if your baby is teething the swaddling probably won't keep him asleep any longer.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kae.dowdy View Post
    Also, I have started to slowly introduce baby food to her, which she loves. A couple days ago I just nursed all day, and she always seemed upset that she wasn't satisfied. Then I fed her sweet potatoes for the first time and she ate the whole thing!!! Is her fussiness maybe because she was wanting some more than just breast milk??
    Breastmilk alone meets all baby's nutritional needs until around the first birthday. So a 6 month old baby doesn't need solids because the breast no longer provides enough food for her. Rather, she needs solids for play, for experiencing new tastes and textures, and for practicing new motor skills.

The last of the big growth spurts kicks in around 6 months. So it's totally normal that your LO wants to nurse all day. Let her! It will boost your supply to where she needs it to be. Another thing that's going on at 6 months is teething, and that can cause increased nursing demand and also fussiness.

Basically, I don't think your LO was starving for solids so much as she was enjoying a new experience which distracted her when she was feeling fussy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I didn't swaddle my daughter after 2 weeks old. But she did sleep in the "Rock & Play Sleeper" until 4 months old which holds them in well. Or she slept on me lol. Then we started co-sleeping after 4 months. Have you tried the side laying nursing position? It's a great way to put your LO down for a nap. I think you should take the solids slow. Breastmilk is the main nutrition a baby needs that age needs. I gave my daughter cereal at 4 months like my Dr suggested and by 5 months old she was only nursing 4 times a day. So I went back to EBF until 6 months. I also got my period back once I started her on solids. But that dosen't happen to everyone. Sounds like you are doing great though!! Keep up the great work Mama!!
    09-28-2011 VB (41 Weeks 1 Day) Breastfeeding 12 months & counting.