Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road trip challenges

Default Re: Road trip challenges

Good points. Thanks!!

Relax and enjoy your trip momma! She will eat when she's hungry and wants to eat just keep offering. Unless you've had supply problems I wouldn't worry to much about your supply dipping drastically either. By 4 months it should be pretty well regulated and if it does dip will come back up when baby starts nursing more again.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

I would have LOVED for L to have made it on one of our LONG trips waiting that long to eat! We have a caravan and the older two were in the back and I was climbing into the middle and nursing her in her carseat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours the entire trip and it was from southern Indiana all the way to Wyoming, them to Montana and a straight drive through back home. It was exhausting climbing back and forth and not being able to enjoy the ride. If she is hungry she will eat, kids appetites change when their environment does even when they are older. As long as she is poo and peeing she is ok. Relax and enjoy the nursing down time she will probably make up for it when she gets back home and into her normal routine!!! ;P
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

So how did your return trip go? This thread was so incredibly helpful--we have a major road trip coming up at Christmas and I am petrified. My baby is 3 1/2 months old and very distractible and impatient. If anything sets her off once it's very difficult to coax her back to the breast no matter how hungry she is. It's good to have some reassurance that my supply is not going to tank and baby is not going to get dehydrated if we have a rough couple of days like you did, which I fully anticipate...

The return trip was much better, both because she nursed a little better, but also because I picked up a handpump to bring along in case I needed it. The peace of mind was worth it because I knew I wouldn't have worry about my supply. I tried to just trust that she'd eat when she was hungry enough...and she ultimately did! Good luck to you!

I'll definitely make room for the hand pump, then. Thanks!