Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road trip challenges

Default Road trip challenges

We are on a road trip (should take 6 hours...will end up taking us closer to 10 with all of the stops!!) and I feel like I'm in HE-double hockeysticks.

My very distractible 4 month old baby will barely eat - I'm talking maaaaybe 3-4 minutes of swallowing since we left at 5 hours ago. We've stopped several times and she just won't focus and eat. In the quiet van, even after dark...almost nothing. We still have hours left to go. She's asleep now, but I'm just stressing about how little she's eaten.

To top it off, I forgot the car adaptor for the pump! So, I hand expressed after our last stop to at least signal some demand. Can one afternoon/night of lower demand create a supply dip?

Just venting, mostly. This trip is wearing me out...

Default Re: Road trip challenges

I'm sorry. It may dip your supply, but not that drastically as long as you keep plugging away. Continuing to nurse is its own solution. Poor stressed everyone. I hope you can relax a little bit, because babies pick up on that stress as you try to nurse.

Do you have any colorful bandana or something that you can sub in as a nursing necklace to keep the distracted baby focused a little closer to the boob at least?

ugh. sorry, I still remember a road trip from hell when my oldest was this age...pulling over on side of a desert highway at night to nurse with giant trucks roaring by, trying to nurse pulled over in a LA traffic jam...ooooh yeah. Not fun!

Sounds like you are doing all you can. Assuming everyone was healthy and all was going relatively well up until this point, a day or two of barely nursing & not pumping is not going to hurt anything. Just keep up the hand expressing as frequently as you can to ward off engorgement and nurse as much as you can once you are home.

A friend once swore to me the only way to get her distractible baby to nurse in the car was to keep baby in the car seat and lean over and nurse, it was the in and out of the car seat that got baby riled up.

Thanks for the encouragement. It was a long, awful drive but we finally made it to the hotel 9 hours after we left. She nursed okay once the kids and hubby were in bed (but didn't act nearly as hungry as i would have expected) and I was also able to pump after that feeding (I remembered the regular plug, just not the car adapter). I'm dreamfeeding her now and will a couple more times to try to get some more milk in before the day, with it's distractions, begins.

I'm already dreading the drive home on Sunday. Ugh. If only I had remembered the car adapter. At least then my supply wouldn't be a question and I could just trust that she would eat when she got hungry enough.

Re: leaning over the carseat. I would totally do that, but I don't think my breasts are large enough! I doubt they'd reach her! Haha...

I ended up bowing out of an outing this morning (that was the main point of the trip!) because it would have meant being out and about for approx 5 hours and I just didn't want to risk her refusing to eat again (and not being able to pump without the car adapter). So, here we sit in a dark hotel room nursing while the rest of the fam is out.

How long does this super distractible phase last, typically?

And is it strange that she could go so very long (8 hours!) with such a teeny amount of nursing (5 minutes max of good swallowing)? She really didn't even seem fussy or like she was hungry! (I'm also the one who posted about low appetite...see?!?!)

How are her diapers?

Way too lazy for formula

They seem fine this morning, but I dreamfed her 4 times overnight and once this am during a nap to be sure to get some milk in her. Wets as usual. Just changed a gigantic poop explosion - the kind that's all over the inside of their outfit...that has to go over their head to come off, of course. Poop in hair, on face, all over arms, etc.

Diapers during her 8 hour fast were ok, too. Two wet diapers, I think. She had nursed 8 or 9 times before we left yesterday afternoon so maybe that was enough to "fill her tank" so that she wasn't hysterical for lack of eating...?

So all is well. She is hydrated and it went in and is coming out. Stop worrying.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, she's doing fine because of the dreamfeeding, which is reassuring.

I guess it just surprised me she could go so long without acting hungry yesterday. Even with a lot of nursing before we left, I would have assumed the milk would have been digested within a few hours and her tummy would be hungry!

She could have been. But hungry isn't the end of the world. We have all ignored or been distracted from hunger by other things we felt more pressing. So it's not that surprising. As she gets older it will happen more and more often. I remember when my son was 7 and 8 months old and rolling and crawling and pulling himself into standing position, I used to play on the floor with him with my shirt off so that he would remember to eat. And even with that, it was a lot of "Drive by" nursing.

Way too lazy for formula