Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden breast and nipple pain

Default Sudden breast and nipple pain

Overnight feedings on my left side were suddenly painful last night. Mydaughter has two new lower teeth, so I wondered at first if her latch had gotten wonky and her teeth were rubbing (it was dark and I didn't want to turn the light on to check it out), but upon inspection this morning, her tongue is still cupping the breast and my nipple looks fine (no redness/irritation/not misshapen). I don't see any white patches in her mouth. Basically, it feels like sharp pains when she's sucking and then I feel a general sensitivity between nursings. Also, if is uncomfortable to press on mybreast (like when I hold her upright on that side). No lumps or any indication of plugs. Could this be thrush? It's just on the left. Right side feels fine. Thanks!

Default Re: Sudden breast and nipple pain

Also, my daughter is 5.5 months old and we've never had painful nursing before.

Default Re: Sudden breast and nipple pain

Actually, I just felt around a little more and there is an area of my breast that is more painful to the touch. Above the nipple, against my chest wall it hurts to press. I don't feel any lumps or warmth or anything. Just a painful area.