Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow Gainer or low supply or something else???

Question Slow Gainer or low supply or something else???

My ydd was born 8/21. She weighed 6#11oz and was 19inches at birth (rcs) and 6#1oz at discharge. At her one week checkup she weighed 6#2oz. At three weeks she was back at birth weight. Last Friday I weighed her and she was only 7#2.5oz but was 24inches long.
    She has about 6-8 wet diapers a day, nurses 9-12 times a day, liquid poops, is awake & content, coos, follows sounds & people, and is trying to roll over. She only cries when she needs changing or is hungry.
    When I pump AFTER she nurses I get 1oz total and if she misses a feeding i get anywhere from 2 1/2-3 oz total.

Am I making enough, have low supply or is she just a slow gainer??

I didnt bf with my older two but they only weighed 12#8 oz and 14#6oz at 12 months. Are my babies just small?? Both are healthy active kids with no disabities or illnesses
    Last edited by @llli*jspencer-1019; October 23rd, 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Loving mom of three, SAHM & Wife!!

M.E. 12/05, W.C. 01/09, H.R 08/12

Default Re: Slow Gainer or low supply or something else???

I wouldn't go by your home scale in terms of her weight. If you're really worried I would take her in to the pediatrician for a weight check. But it sounds like she is doing great in all the other metrics (diapers, nursing frequency, poops, development etc). Keep in mind that what your pump extracts may not be the same as what your baby is getting in a feeding.

My guess is your babies are just small. I agree, though you should ask your doctor. Be sure if you're comparing weights, you're using the same scale.

WHO growth charts are here. They are in metric, unfortunately.

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand...irls_p_0_6.pdf

6 pounds 11 ounces = 3.03 kg (birth) 32%
    7 pounds 2.5 ounces = 3.25 kg (9 weeks) below 3%

Kellymom average weight gains here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

Dr Newman info

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-IMB
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

with the PPs regarding the scales. You don't want to weigh your baby on your bathroom scale. You want to use a professional scale that can measure differences in the 1/10 of an oz, and you want to always use the same scale with the baby in the same state of dress/undress as the last time she was weighed.

Your baby's diaper output and development sounds perfect, and your pump output is normal. Keep in mind that breastfed babies typically take only 2-4 oz at the breast when nursing, with many babies preferring the low end of that range, and that the pump is not as good at removing milk from the breast as the baby is.

As long as baby is nursing on demand or at least 8-10 times in a 24 hour period, I wouldn't worry. If you have any concerns, try offering the breast more frequently. It's great for supply and can help weight gain if you happen to have a very mellow, non-demanding baby who is too polite to "ask" to nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mommal said
    If you have any concerns, try offering the breast more frequently. It's great for supply and can help weight gain if you happen to have a very mellow, non-demanding baby who is too polite to "ask" to nurse.
    i agree. you said in your op that baby might 'miss' a feeding and only cries when hungry. well of course you do not want a slow gaining baby to ever miss a feeding. and crying is a late sign of hunger. nurse more often or at least offer. more frequent feedings may well help and cannot possibly hurt. and some babies need to nurse more often than others to gain well.

why are you pumping at all? If you don't need to be pumping, i suggest use that extra energy to encourage baby to nurse at the breast more often.

lllmeg- the crying about being hungry is only when I'm not expecting her to be hungry again & im doing chores or showing etc. shes only ever missed feedings three times and all were at might after she cluster fed for two hours straight!

when I charted her on an app on my phone shes steadily growing judy not getting fat. Her daddy and brother both have high metabolisms. Both her height & head circum. are in the 97% range.

I was/am only pumping because sometimes she doesn't empty me and it hurts.and I don't want to have problems with my supply.
    Loving mom of three, SAHM & Wife!!

M.E. 12/05, W.C. 01/09, H.R 08/12