Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At 11 weeks, nothing is helping...is it too late?

Default At 11 weeks, nothing is helping...is it too late?

My DS is 11weeks, I've struggled with low supply early on. He was jaundice and was under light therapy at 3days. during this time he wasnt getting enough from me so the docs said to add formula to each feeding to help push out the bilirubin. His bilirubin kept climbing up. So day 5, doc told us to take him off the breast and only feed formula for 3days. During this time I pumped and stored, but there was not much at all 1oz every 4hrs. At 8 days, we were finally home and tried going back on the breast but couldn't seem to produce enough. At 2 weeks, went to a lactation consultant found out, DS was tongue tied, got him snipped...and still not much improvement.

For the past 2months, he's been mostly on the breast and taking extra 2oz bottles 3x/day (mid morning, mid afternoon, bedtime). I tried doing 3 days of purely breastfeeding, but he would fussy a lot, noticed less wet diapers, and constipation (screaming to push out his dry poo). And seems like he's always tired.

So, ive been trying everything to get my supply up: oatmeal...can't tell, milkmaid tea...can't tell, fenugreek 3pills/3x...nothing, mothers love...nothing, now trying lactate support pills...nothing yet but being hopeful. Is my body getting used to all these pills? should I take a break and try again later?

I'm desperate. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: At 11 weeks, nothing is helping...is it too late?

I don't think it's too late. Are you pumping now?

I had tried pumping during the early weeks. I was double pumping 15 mins 5x/day in between feedings and kept that going for 3 weeks and didn't see any increase. So, I got frustrated and stopped pumping since i didn't see any results. But will try to add pumping back in and see if it'll help this time around.

The only way I have found to increase my supply is to nurse A LOT and pump A LOT. With a hospital grade pump. Consistently. It will take a while. By what they say about supply and demand is true. Herbs and oatmeal are great and might help but removing milk from your breasts and stimulating them when they are empty at every opportunity is the only way I've found to reliably and significantly increase my milk supply. Do you have an IBCLC?