Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tingling feeling?

Post tingling feeling?

I'm not sure what this is I'm feeling. I suspect it's let down or milk being released but wondered if someone could tell me for sure. When I am feeding on one breast the other will get this tingly type strange feeling in it for a moment or two. Sometimes it also happens when I'm not feeding at all and then I get it in both breasts. Is this the milk letting down? I thought let down was only during the first moments of feeding. It's a very odd feeling, not painful or uncomfortable, just odd.

Default Re: tingling feeling?

It sounds exactly like your milk let down (or MER - milk ejection reflex). I always notice it more in the breast my baby is not nursing on (probably because the sensation of her sucking makes it not as noticeable on the one she's on). I also used to have random let down's happen in the earlier months. It's totally normal!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yep, that's what it is!! I especially feel it if she's gone past the normal amount of time between feedings....

I have felt that too. Despite being told that most moms don't feel let down I've found that most moms I've talk to do feel it. My milk lets down multiple times 3-4 times a feeding! I always feel it in both sides. It used to happen (when not nursing) out in public and I'd have to cross my arms over my chest to keep my shirt from getting soaked! That has gone away with time.

Since I posted about this I've started to feel it on both sides and also more than once during feeds. I was wondering if that were normal to have a let down feeling more than once. Good to know others have something like this also.

Quote Originally Posted by momtobaby1 View Post
    Since I posted about this I've started to feel it on both sides and also more than once during feeds. I was wondering if that were normal to have a let down feeling more than once. Good to know others have something like this also.
    Yes. Totally normal. I can have up to six letdowns during one nursing session.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Yes, you can let down multiple times within a feeding (or as others have said, even when you're not breastfeeding!). Some moms feel the tingling you described. Others don't feel a thing or even describe it as pins and needles. I personally had a "wet" feeling.

Both breasts can let down, even on the side you're not nursing on. Hope that helps.