Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: starting solids/cereal

Default Re: starting solids/cereal

You may also find that even though you want to spoon feed cereal and purees your LO might have a different idea Some babies are perfectly happy being spoon fed, but others refuse, so don't totally write off BLW until you know your son is on board with your feeding plan, too.

As PP have said, rice cereal is not nutritious, but it is commonly used as a tool to practice eating off a spoon early on. I would skip the cereal and wait until your son can sit up and grab things with his hands, then let the fun begin
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    You may also find that even though you want to spoon feed cereal and purees your LO might have a different idea Some babies are perfectly happy being spoon fed, but others refuse, so don't totally write off BLW until you know your son is on board with your feeding plan, too.
    This was my experience. I wanted to start with purees, like you, but my LO didn't like being spoon fed. She grabbed the spoon every time and puree would go flying everywhere. We had little more success with those Plum Organics squeezable pouches but she liked to hold them herself; again, fruit and vegetable purees go flying.

We still did some puree and some oatmeal, and as many different flavors as we could. Her DCP had better luck feeding her the oatmeal. But then I would offer her a few things off my plate as well, and she absolutely loved it. She would gnaw on everything even though she didn't have teeth. I think she liked exploring the different textures that way. And since we eat dinner every night as a family, but 9 or 10 months she would point and want things off my plate anyway.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    My firstborn was like this. I had no intention of doing BLS with her- I had never even heard of it! But if a spoon got near her face she would bat it away and send puree splattering across the walls. I don't know if I ever got more than a tablespoon of puree into her. Most days it was nothing. Self-feeding was the only option that was going to work for us. And just FTR, today that kid is a great eater, no texture aversions, very little pickiness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We didn't start until 6 months, but I was not feeling the BLS thing, either. I had no problems with it, but my family eats in a way that made BLS not so easy for us. Our meals didn't quite fit with it, and I wanted her food to match what we did (we make lots of pureed soups, actually!). I can't speak to starting before 6 months, but I did find that some things like pureed oatmeal became extremely runny. I guess if one is starting early you could go that route because a slightly thicker than liquid consistency would, my guess, be the best on a young tummy. We tended to also mix lots of things with breastmilk for the first few weeks, so the food was mostly breastmilk with a little bit of solids.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Cereal, applesauce, squash, and bananas are constipating foods. Try peaches, prunes, or green veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    Cereal, applesauce, squash, and bananas are constipating foods. Try peaches, prunes, or green veggies.
    Well but bananas never fail to make my lo produce some super poop right after!

We decided absolutely nothing until 6 months. And we decided we're not going to push it or force him if he's not ready.

We started with avocado slices (no-go). Then I decided to grind up oatmeal and I cooked it so that it's able to be balled up and held (he likes it); I also put it into those mesh feeders, DS loves it that way, especially cold out of the fridge---it makes a great teether! I gave him some banana slices, which he seems to like; then I did puree some and spoon-fed him when he opened his mouth for it and he enjoys that. I was eating some spinach nuggets the other day and gave him a chunk of the inside and he LOVED it; it was essentially ground up, cooked spinach. Yesterday at lunch I let him chew and suck on a piece of cucumber from my cucumber-tomato salad.

My point being...so far we're doing a combination. Experimenting. When he turns his head, spits out the food or grabs and munches on the spoon, we stop the feeding and it becomes play time.
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

When our daughter was about 5 months she started grabbing food out of my hand, so I did let her suck on some fruit at that point. Just around 6 months she started sitting on her own and we gave her some banana but she couldn't pick it up. I also tried pear but too slippery. She seemed frustrated at her inability to pick the food up and put it into her mouth as she wanted to. Broccoli worked better. Then we discovered oven-roasted beef strips. She loved sucking on them. Our avocado tree produced a huge amount of fruit around that time (7 months old?) and as she practiced devouring avocado chunks (which she loved) she got a lot better at managing the food. I did try spoon-feeding her some oatmeal and some yogurt, but initially she just tried to grab the spoon and then ended up flinging the food onto the wall. It was too messy! Now (1 year old) she will feed herself yogurt or oatmeal from a spoon that I have preloaded, but mostly she feeds herself with her hands, a selection of what we are eating. This has ranged from sushi (cooked fish and veggie) in Japanese restaurants, to hamburgers at home, to raw onion in an airport, to black beans and manioch at a friends' house, to empanadas from the bakery, to noodle stew and scrambled eggs at a remote field station. She is a great eater, and I cannot think of any food she doesn't like (she even ate raw garlic and had garlic breath all evening, and would eat her own shoe if we let her, so not necessarily always a good thing). BLS has worked really well for us so far, and she is learning to use a spoon on her own. It's messy, but I don't think any more messy than feeding her purees would be. And she still nurses all.the.time, at least 10-16 times per 24 h, much of it at night. so I know even on the days when she doesn't want to eat much solids for whatever reason, she's still getting nutritious "meals" from me.

What we haven't given her much is water. I figure if she is thirsty she can nurse. If I am away from her, my husband gives her water or fruit. Do you agree it's ok to not give water, or should I be giving her water at this point? She loves to drink water but gets very wet drinking form a cup, and I tend to be a bit lazy I guess. Also the tap water is not great quality here, so I figure breastmilk is safer....Don't mean to hijack your post, but maybe someone has some thoughts on the necessity/importance of introducing liquids alternative to breastmilk along with solids?.

we didn't worry about water at all, until we went camping in the south (=hot) in july when DS was 13 months. he discovered water then! loved it and drank a lot of it. before that i was like you, figured that if he needed liquid he'd nurse. so i think kids will figure it out when they need it.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.