Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much Fenugreek??

Default How much Fenugreek??

I am starting to take Fenugreek to try to increase my milk supply. Just curious how many I should take a day. Any advice will be helpful.

Default Re: How much Fenugreek??

indicator really is when you start smelling like maple syrup (armpits, urine) - then you've got enough in your system. don't forget that fenugreek is great but you've got to remove milk from the breast to stimulate production!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I am trying to manually express milk by hand after pumping, but I can't even get a half of an ounce out total after pumping. I watched that video that is on here about the mothers who pumped 3-4 oz and then hand expressed 4-5 more. I can't do that. I am getting frustrated. Any advice would be appreciated. I pump every 2 - 2 1/2 hrs at work (4 times total) and BF when I get home, night time, and early morning.

Which pump are you using? Does pumping feel comfortable?

Kellymom has the fenugreek dosages here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...rbs/fenugreek/

Herbs can help, but only work in conjunction with frequent, effective milk removal.

Here's some tips on increasing the amount of milk you pump. If you're new to pumping, it can take time to condition your letdown.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

i could never hand express really at all. i didn't spend much time practicing, either, though, which people say helps.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsvitz View Post
    I watched that video that is on here about the mothers who pumped 3-4 oz and then hand expressed 4-5 more. I can't do that.
    That is absolutely insane!! I think the most I ever pumped was 3 1/2 oz after a 4 1/2 hour period of not bfing/pumping (I was away from DD at a party). I don't know how people can do that, but I think its just biological. Don't get discouraged, I don't think many of us can pump that much. I would be interested to see how you are managing with the Fenugreek! Is it working? I'm thinking about trying it myself...

I am taking 2 Fenugreek 3 times a day. My pee smells like maple syrup now. Ha ha... Sorry TMI. I think that it is helping. I have only been on it for 4 days now, I heard that it might take up to 2 weeks to really be in my system. The only reason that I am trying to get a little more milk is because my son is drinking about 3 1/2 - 4 oz at a time while I am gone at work. But I am only pumping between 10-11 oz during the 9 hrs that I am at work everyday. I have been told that I am pumping a great amount, but it doesn't seem that I have enough for him sometimes. So I am not trying to double my supply at all, just wanting 2-3 more oz a day. Thanks for the encouragement on the hand expressing. I am glad that I am not the only one who isn't very good at it. I am going to keep on doing what I am doing and hope that my supply goes up a little bit more. Does anyone think that I should try to add another pumping session in?? I don't know if that would work or not. Let me know what you ladies think.

Weirdest thing... The first time I pumped today I got 3 1/2 oz. Which is a normal 1st pumping session. The 2nd time I pump I average about 2.5 oz, but today I only got 1 oz total!! I am trying not to freak out. What the heck is going on with me???

yes, you should probably add another pumping session in; taking fenugreek can help but only if you increase demand for milk! tell us your pumping routine and we can give more specific advice.

as for 1 oz at your 2nd pump today - fluctuation is normal. i wouldn't worry too much; tomorrow it'll probably be better.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I really suck at hand expression also. I knew a woman who could get 10 ounces out of each breast. Weird thing, she didn't have large breasts. I don't know where she put it.

Adding another pumping session, if you can, is a good idea. In my own pumping experience, I found pumping every 2 hours gave the most milk. Of course, this all depends on what time you have. I tried pumping every 1 hour and it didn't seem to bring out more milk than pumping every 2 hours.

I wouldn't worry too much about having an "off" day.

When I was pumping, I would 1) double pump until the milk really slowed down then 2) switched to single-side pumping, using my other hand to do breast compressions to empty the breast as much as possible. Breast compressions used at the end of a pumping session can certainly get more milk out. One more thing to realize is that if you just keep pumping dry for a few minutes, you may find you have another letdown.
    Last edited by @llli*monika.h; October 22nd, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.