Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping question

Default Pumping question

My son is almost three months now. I've been back to work for three weeks and pump at 10&2, I get around 2 oz each breast at both pumping sessions. If I skip the pump session at 10 will I get around 4 ounces each breast at the 2 session or do you think my supply will weaken?

Default Re: Pumping question

Hello!

I don't know what your work hours are, but fi you only pump once at work (2pm), then yes, you may experience a decrease in supply. You will initially get more at that session, having skipped the 10am session, but over time it will dwindle. Just as if your baby skipped a feeding at the breast. It's supply and demand with pumping as well as with baby. I would keep both sessions
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

If you were to occasionally one session or have it much later than usual then likely no negative impact. But routinely missing or purposely cutting a session would decrease your supply.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

will I get around 4 ounces each breast at the 2 session
    no, that is not how milk production works. FREQUENT milk extraction is needed to maintain or increase milk production. It's possible the later pumping session output would be elevated temporarily, but as pps note, over time this strategy would decrease not only pump output but your overall supply.

Besides the obvious that pumping is a bother, is there something else going on? Are you wanting to increase how much you get when you pump overall? Or are you being pressured by your employer about pumping?

For me, personally, my milk supply would decrease if I did that. I would suggest staying at 2 pumping sessions /day.

If you keep milk in your breasts for a long time, your body gets the signal to make less milk....unless you are one of those women who are blessed with a high storage capacity. I know a woman who could pump 8 ounces out of each breast at one sitting! She can go for long periods of time without pumping or feeling uncomfortable, that's just her body.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

For me, personally, my milk supply would decrease if I did that. I would suggest staying at 2 pumping sessions /day.

If you keep milk in your breasts for a long time, your body gets the signal to make less milk....unless you are one of those women who are blessed with a high storage capacity. I know a woman who could pump 8 ounces out of each breast at one sitting! She can go for long periods of time without pumping or feeling uncomfortable, that's just her body.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.