Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: drying up....have low supply to begin with...stopping bf

Default Re: drying up....have low supply to begin with...stopping bf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Are you a single parent? Is the no one to help you so that you can do this stuff one day a week when someone else is home?
    I'm a stay at home mom and wife...but my husband works 10 hour days 6 days a week, sometimes he works for 20 some odd days straight if he has to go out of state on a business trip. He comes home and does some basic house stuff and some outside stuff but he is pretty shot and he cant watch the baby for too long without falling asleep. All my sisters are overcommitted and have kids of their own...mom works long hours still... I sometimes feel like I'm alone...thank God I don't have to work too.

A report on the pumping and BFing: ive been able to pump and feed a total of 11 times since midnight. My numbers are totally bizarre...sometimes high, sometimes super low...breasts feel like they are emptying each pump or feed. I am probobly ODing on galactagogues and tea and oatmeal too.

I have been renting a hospital grade pump...could it be malfunctioning on me? Should I try to swap it?

some random thoughts:

yes, most people with new babies get behind on housework. lots of people find they can get some done by carrying baby in a sling or wrap. lots lower their standards. i think it's a matter of figuring out which things you really need for your mental health (ie, floors mopped or clutter put away? maybe not both ) and prioritizing your time. you have it doubly hard with the nrusing and pumping, so be gentle with yourself! it does get easier and the house WILL get cleaner as baby gets older.

i don't think you can actually OD on oatmeal, and likely not on galactagogues, depending on what you're taking.

it is normal for moms to stop feeling their breasts "fill up" and "empty" at some point. not a sign of low supply.

good job on the 11 feedings!

how old is the hospital grade pump? is it easy for you to swap it? might not hurt.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Ok I have no idea how old the pump is... so I'll ask and thanks for the info on cleaning.... I do some sweeping and mopping and vacuuming with baby in the sling....I guess he got used to the constant jostling in the womb because he doesn't mind it in his moby wrap. I'm type a so all dirty things bother me and I had a massive garden that I have been so delinquent working in...so sad because healthy homegrown food is so important to me. The lowering of standards rings a bell...that's what has happened. To my sister's houses...I wont go there...but once tidy homes quickly changed with the onset of kids for all of them. Ugh...now I wish my house wasn't so big... its got so many rooms...so much to clean. I am seriously going to sell everything I own at my next garage sale so I don't have to clean as much. Is that a common sentiment?

I just want to say thankyou to everyone for the help and info...I've calmed down because of it and though I'll never be 100% satisfied with my situation...getting feedback on here and smiles and excitement from my baby when he gets to BF helps so much. I met my four month goal last week and now I'm looking toward that 6 month goal with more hope...then 9 months...maybe a year....

yeah, i think it's a hard transition into being a mom. all of a sudden you're kind of faced very concretely with this prioritizing of things in your life and you can't do it all at once. i'm at your garage sale!

i think it might be helpful for you to think about something i've heard on here about "redefining success" - what you've been doing is really really hard and you should be proud of still hanging in there at 4 months with the strength to go for 6!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diymom View Post
    I'll never be 100% satisfied with my situation...
    Keep in mind most of us are here because we've had some kind of breastfeeding difficulty/dissatisfaction. Back when I was visiting my IBCLC every other day, I remember saying to her, why is this happening to us? What is wrong with us that this is so hard? And she said, this hospital employs a whole huge team of lactation consultants--we have jobs because it's not that uncommon for new moms to struggle! Breastfeeding is such a normal and natural thing but that doesn't make it easy. You are not alone. I did the whole nurse, pump, supplement, SNS thing for a few weeks and it was so, so hard. You are working SO hard. I agree, you should be SO PROUD of yourself. You're doing this. It's not forever.

On a more practical note, have you considered hiring someone to come in and clean, even once or twice a month? We can't afford it anymore because my DH quit his job to stay home, but back when we were both working, we had someone every other week and it was the best money I ever spent. As soon as we can fit it into the budget again, we'll do it again. If money is tight, maybe you can pay for it with the proceeds of your garage sale

Seriously. Dirty windows? That's bothering you? Honey, let the idea go that you are going to have a squeaky clean house. You can have a clean enough house. But it sounds like you were/are a little obsessive in the house cleaning department. I'm not sure what the lowered standards are that you are seeing in your sister's house after she had kids - but kids are messy. They make a mess. They can help clean up the mess. But if you're going to be worried about having a house clean enough to eat off the floor, clean windows, etc., you are going to drive yourself crazy.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*diymom View Post
    I am seriously going to sell everything I own at my next garage sale so I don't have to clean as much. Is that a common sentiment?
    It rings true for me. We are in a 3-bedroom apartment and I'm super happy with it, honestly. We have 2 bathrooms. I could never keep up with a bigger place or a yard or anything like that.

I also like things really clean and had to lower my standards after DD was born. I think being home with her on maternity leave, too, I spent a lot of time there and just didn't want to sit there and stare at a dirty patio door, you know? Finally, my best friend came from NYC and cleaned the place from top to bottom. I couldn't manage to get even the basics done some days. Now that DD is a year, this is better but still not as clean as I would like! But the trade off is worth it
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Aw ... you are doing a great job and I can hear your frustration about the house-cleaning thing. I really feel you - but on my second baby, I am living proof that a Type-A person who loves things clean can just let it go if she decides to Let me tell you that my baby is 3 months old and I have vacuumed ONCE since she was born. I have not yet washed the kitchen floor, and we are all still OK. No one judges moms for the cleanliness of their homes, and you are working extra hard with pumping AND nursing. And if someone does judge, then that's lame and they probably either don't have kids or didn't have nursing problems like you have had. Sometimes when I start getting stressed about my kitchen floor or carpets, I say to myself, My kids are happy, so am I, everyone has a clean bum and is fed, and at the end of the day that's all that really matters.

Anyway, I'm just trying to say that you can do it, and if you are able to forget about having a perfectly clean house for awhile, that would probably really help your mood. I know it's hard with a husband who works a lot of hours and can't really help with the baby much. What we have done, instead of paying someone to clean the house (since I prefer doing it myself because my standards seem to be higher than commercial house-cleaners' standards, and you may be the same!), is this: hire a mother's helper twice a week for 3 hours to watch the kid(s)/hold the baby while you do a bunch of cleaning. And when you have to sit down and nurse/pump, maybe she can take over the cleaning until you can get back to it. Or something. We got someone at a babysitter's wage to do this, so it's much cheaper than getting an actual house-cleaner. Just another idea for you. But honestly, if I were you, I'd wait on the cleaning until the nursing troubles get sorted out, because I can tell nursing is really important to you. It might be a matter of deciding which is more important - having a clean house or reaching your nursing goals. No one can decide it for you, but I've found that these decisions are often mostly about priorities!

Take care!!

Oh, and I totally want to sell all my possessions and live in a trailer, because then there would be so much less cleaning to do. I often think of that.

with pp's... the housework can wait - make the most of your time with your LO as it'll pass by so quickly. I, too, used to have a VERY clean home, but since having my 2 kids I have realised just what my priorities are. Don't get me wrong, I do prefer when my home is tidy and clean(ish!), but with one 4 yr old running around and one 4 month old to care for dusting, hoovering etc generally waits until DH is around so I can whizz round my flat cleaning, which is normally about once a week to 2 weeks. I try and get little bits done while DD is sleeping (DS is out at daycare mon - fri) or sometimes she'll be on her playmat and just google and giggle at me as I get some stuff done. You have to find your own rythme and I do realise you have a lot on your hands if you have to express with a breast pump so much, but it will get easier and you'll eventually get into a routine.

Oh, and well done you are doing the best you can for your LO. That's all anyone can ask of a Mummy
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*satin.mama View Post
    Anyway, I'm just trying to say that you can do it, and if you are able to forget about having a perfectly clean house for awhile, that would probably really help your mood. I know it's hard with a husband who works a lot of hours and can't really help with the baby much. What we have done, instead of paying someone to clean the house (since I prefer doing it myself because my standards seem to be higher than commercial house-cleaners' standards, and you may be the same!), is this: hire a mother's helper twice a week for 3 hours to watch the kid(s)/hold the baby while you do a bunch of cleaning. And when you have to sit down and nurse/pump, maybe she can take over the cleaning until you can get back to it. Or something. We got someone at a babysitter's wage to do this, so it's much cheaper than getting an actual house-cleaner. Just another idea for you. But honestly, if I were you, I'd wait on the cleaning until the nursing troubles get sorted out, because I can tell nursing is really important to you. It might be a matter of deciding which is more important - having a clean house or reaching your nursing goals. No one can decide it for you, but I've found that these decisions are often mostly about priorities!

Take care!!

Oh, and I totally want to sell all my possessions and live in a trailer, because then there would be so much less cleaning to do. I often think of that.
    I feel bad for being hard on my sisters now...its my turn to eat humble pie... I have lowered my standards some....but can I just say I'm right with you on having above average cleanliness expectations? I am a freak when it comes to bathrooms too. It doesn't help that I married a guy who spills and wipes crumbs off counters onto the floor and grew up with maids and nannys. Ugh... he has come a long way but he is terribly dirty and I have a theory that he makes more lint than anyone else in the world... I have steered clear of his bathroom...yes...he has his own thank God, since my baby was born. I avoid it like the plague. I don't want to face it ever and I'm too emberrassed to have anyone else help tonclean it... ugh I am rambling.

Thank you everyone for the advice and input. I am going to have a couple aunts and friends come by now and let them watch my son and do what you suggested and clean on my own. I desperately need to dust and put up fall decorations... I love my fall decor.

On a high note...my prducton seems to only be down 3-4 oz from the 15. Feeding him more often is actually kind of interesting...he is always ready to eat...I think he is just a pig. He then takes naps on me and seems to be just as happy as ever. Last night I did a grocery shopping run...BY MYSELF! It was like being a freshman in college again...I put on loud 90 s alternative rock drove aggressively and screamed along to the music in between stores. I think I need to get out more.