Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaning party criteria and ideas

Default Weaning party criteria and ideas

We're really getting close to weaning. It hurts so badly to nurse and we're talking to my 39 mo old about a weaning party if she can go 2 weeks without nursing. Do you think 2 weeks is long enough that will demonstrate she's really done? In the last few weeks she only nurses for about a second, just one side at a time and a couple times a day max but now it's been 2 days and I'm hoping this is just the end. I have loved nursing her, I'm glad we stuck it out through a very difficult first year, but after nursing her through 2 11-week pregnancies and potentially pregnant again and all the pain that goes along with that, I'm done. I know there isn't research to link breastfeeding and miscarriage, but my progesterone is quite low, my hormones are really messed up and I just want to be done and see if it helps my cycles get more normal and helps me get another take home baby.

For those who have had a weaning party, what did you do? I'm thinking just my husband, she and I will do something since it's getting close to November and there are 2 weekends with stuff for my sisters' babies already booked, plus Thanksgiving and one of our little babies' birthdays/anniversary of miscarriage but I want her to look forward to it and have an incentive to just say she's taking a step of growing up and nummies are done. I know I'm done, really I've been ready for a year now but I'm just more and more done all the time.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Default Re: Weaning party criteria and ideas

I can't really advice you on party ideas but I think a party of just 3 is not really a party. I would wait longer and make a big deal, invite a few of her friends, just 3 of her friends and would decorate the house with balloons and other party deco. JMHO

Yeah, she doesn't really have a ton of friends and we've already joked over a year ago if we invited her cousin that her cousin would say she hasn't weaned yet and would give my daughter a chance to second guess weaning. I guess I thought our little family would be OK if we did something special together, it's hard to find people who even accept a 3 yr old nursing let alone want to celebrate being done.

ETA: well maybe in December we could do something and decorate cookies or something like that. I'm so sleep deprived I'm having a hard time coming up with anything but she has made it 2 days so far.

I think that's a neat idea. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a party in terms of numbers, but maybe just a special acknowledgment with the three of you--the cookie decorating would be fun, and you can make it a weaning celebration (or a movie date, etc, whatever will be a special occasion).

Do you think 2 weeks is long enough to say for sure we're done and if she asks after 2 weeks I can say she already weaned?

I think it's really whatever length of time works for you--for me, I'm not sure I would make sure she was completely done when we had the celebration; I could even see doing it as kind of an "ok, we're going to shift into not nursing now" if she was pretty much done. But I think whatever feels right to you will work fine.

That makes sense. In that case maybe Veteran's Day we can do something since my husband will have the day off.

I think that a "weaning celebration day out with mom and dad" would be really great. You could decorate the cookies and take them and a picnic to the zoo or some other place that you guys don't have a chance to go to as a family that often. I've recently started rethinking rewards for Lilah - I tend to reward myself with food , and I don't want to perpetuate that pattern in my kids. Toys seem like a materialistic type of reward, but time with loved ones doing something special seems just right to me.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for that, Tracie, I think you're right, especially since I work Saturdays and my husband works M-F we don't have all 3 of us together for too many outings and she loves it when she has both of us.

She hasn't nursed in over a week now and doesn't even ask because she knows she is done. We're dropping off cupcakes to our IBCLC and other people who helped us with our first year of nursing difficulties. She nursed exactly 3 yrs 3 mos.