Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burning through milk stash

Default Re: Burning through milk stash

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    I hear you!! I would agree that encouraging your nanny to give less per bottle might be in order but your calculation of 1.7 oz per hour away does seem within the realm of normal to me (based on my limited experience and what I've read here). You've probably already thought of this, but I find that the most effective way to get my baby to take a more naturally-paced amount of milk from the bottle (meaning, more like the smaller, more frequent meals she has when we're together) is to provide small (1.5-3 oz) bottles. If you are facing the prospect of getting up to add another ounce or two to a bottle (with a baby in your arms all the while), you take a moment to evaluate whether she's really still hungry. If you have an ounce left in the bottle, and you're looking at the possibility of having to tell mom that you threw her milk away because you overestimated how much she'd take, you keep offering the bottle. I think that's what anyone would do, consciously or subconsciously.
    I agree on the smaller bottles. When I'm really limited on time and I actually store 4 to 5 oz in a bag or bottle and leave it for them I think to myself, this might be asking for trouble in the form of over consumption. If I get 5 or 6oz in a session across both sides it's nearly always uneven by side so I combine it and then split into two.

The 1.7oz per hour is what I keep thinking about. That's not out of control. But it is over consumption if the actual feedings are between 10 and 4:15 noting that 4:15 is a start time not an end time? Or is it still normal since there is at least an hour gap between when I stop feeding and leave and the first bottle starts and another gap, usually at least 90 min, between when the Nanny stops feeding and I get home?
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

To me it seems like there may be an over-consumption issue because no matter how you slice and dice the numbers, you are working really hard to try to keep up but baby is still drinking more than you are pumping. I like the idea of the smaller bottles.

Just wanted to chime in here. Are you open to taking some fenugreek? I found that taking 6 capsules a day (as recommended on the bottle) truly gives my supply (and therefore pumping output) a little boost. I've not had any negative side effects from it, and neither has baby. Just a thought.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*worknpump View Post

Just wanted to chime in here. Are you open to taking some fenugreek? I found that taking 6 capsules a day (as recommended on the bottle) truly gives my supply (and therefore pumping output) a little boost. I've not had any negative side effects from it, and neither has baby. Just a thought.
    Not at all opposed. My sister noted it didn't work for her but I'm willing to try.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12