Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DH is taking over Nights. How should we go about this?

Default DH is taking over Nights. How should we go about this?

Dad is on board to help with Nights during his upcoming vacation.

Currently our twins, 20 months, are nursed to sleep and have 1-3 night wakings every night.

Should DH start with the bedtime routine (and help me wean them from Nursing to Sleep? I don't mind nursing to sleep, if they go to sleep within 30 mins. It's the times, when they start playing, pulling hair, jumping etc. and the whole thing takes 2 hours which drives me crazy. This happens about once a week, I suppose.

Or Should DH help with the night wakings ( and help me night ween).

I think the second is our plan, but we are open to advice.

What tips should we give to him. Does he stay in the room until they fall back asleep? Does he stay for a set time, leave and return again?

Any tips for DH are welcome. I really hope this upcoming week is a success! Thanks,

Default Re: DH is taking over Nights. How should we go about this?

Has DH ever gone to them when they woke up at night before? When Lilah was that age, my DH took over her bedtime routine. She was happy with him being the one to put her to bed in about a week. I think that in the middle of the night, when she expected to nurse and wasn't really awake, that it may have been a disaster. After he did her bedtime for several months, he started responding to her when she woke at night. He would give her a sip of water and sleep in her bed with her if she needed someone to stay there. We got her a full size bed when she was 16 months old.

For me, it seems easier to change the nursing to sleep thing. Everyone is awake and rational and you can talk about it beforehand. If I ever feel like I need to night-wean Trixie, I think we will do it the same way we did with Lilah.

How do you guys handle night wakings now?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I would think the nursing to sleep would be easier to change, too, at least that is how it worked in our family.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

wow, thanks for your insight. I'm really intrigued by it and surprised too. I handle night wakings by nursing back to sleep. One baby is quick to wake back up if he realizes I'm leaving, or hears my footsteps. I have to be careful not to leave too early.

On occasion, Daddy has helped with night wakings. Especially the ones near wake up, around 5am. They fight it, but eventually go back to sleep while he stays in bed with them.

The last two nights have been really good! only one night waking for one baby, none for the other. Tonight after 15 minutes of nursing, they were able to lay down in bed, while I laid down by them, and they actually went to sleep! Is it possible they are going to work this out themselves?!

We did the opposite, i nursed to sleep and any wake ups before 11 pm, then night wakings were DHs to handle. It worked, then when DS2 was born, DH did all the night time parenting for DS1
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language