Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden oversupply at 4.5 months

Default Sudden oversupply at 4.5 months

In the first few months of breastfeeding, I had quite a bit of oversupply. I'd wake in the morning with milk everywhere, sleeping on towels, and constantly needing breastpads in my bras. I know this is normal, and eventually my supply regulated, after lots of block feeding. But this last week has been crazy! Suddenly I'm back to leaking at night, and woke up engorged on one side this morning. What could be causing this? My LO doesn't seem to be nursing any more or less than usual...Help?

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"

Default Re: Sudden oversupply at 4.5 months

Oversupply is kind of weird- you think you have it beat only to have it come roaring back. That was my experience, anyways. I'd give it a couple of days and then maybe go back to block feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can only agree with pp and tell you I am going through the same right now with my almost 4 month old. I am trying block feeding/pumping and I pump the extra off when I get too uncomfortable. I also take lecithin to try and prevent clogged ducts.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Are you back at work and pumping? For me, there's something about the pump that just ratchets up my supply (I know, a lot of women wish they had this problem!). Pumping slightly less frequently might help. Stretching out my pumping sessions to every 3.5-4 hours at work mimicked block feeding better for me. At home I was offering one side every two hours. At work I would do both sides every 4-ish hours.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you ladies for the advice! I gave it a few days, and my supply has gotten mostly back to normal

I'm Erin, wife to a wonderful husband, and first time mother of Baby Will - 05/13/2012

"Keep calm and latch on!"