Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk is baby really getting?

Default How much milk is baby really getting?

I have just started pumping with a manual pump and am shocked by how little milk i'm getting out of it. My 7 month old usually only nurses 3-5 minutes at a time. Is she really only getting less than 1/2 an ounce per feeding? Is the amount of milk i'm getting in a pumping session an accurate reflection of how much milk she's getting?

Default Re: How much milk is baby really getting?

Pumps, especially hand pumps, are FAR less efficient than nursing. This is even more true if you've never pumped before. Pumping output is NOT a good measure of your milk supply for this reason. By seven months, most babies are super fast and efficient at pumping. I work out of the home, so I pump a lot, but it takes me at least 15 minutes to pump a decent amount, but my baby would nurse for a shorter time than that. Good weight gain, diaper output, and just generally being healthy and meeting milestones are better measures of milk supply than the pump.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

No it's not. Especially if you have only been nursing on demand until now and are just now picking up a pump at 7 months. Pumps are never as effective at removing milk as babies and the less you pump the less effective pumping is. So when my baby was 5 weeks old I pumped once every day 1st thing in the morning. For months I was able to get 4-8oz in 15-20min out of that one session. (because I way over produced in the beginning.) But when he was around 5 or 6 months old he started forgoing the evening bottle my DH had been feeding him in favor of play. So I stopped pumping. I finally decided to leave him for 6hours when he was 10 months old to have a spa treatment on my Birthday. I had to pump for THREE DAYS at that time to get 6oz of milk! My body wasn't used to performing for the pump and my supply had regulated by then. So NO it's not what your baby is getting out of your breast in 5 minutes. And I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a reason to. Do you? Is your baby not having the right amount of wet diapers in a 24hour period of time? At 7 months that is THE ONLY THING that could concern you. Your child dropping in the weight charts in the 7th month IS NOT reason for concern. MOST EBF kids drop significantly in the charts as weight gain slows WAY DOWN after the 6month because that is when breastfed babies get moving!
    So, is there anything about your baby's diapers that is cause for concern?

Way too lazy for formula

with pp and also I personally never got the hang of a hand pump, I used a double electric but it's still not an indicator of supply.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thanks for the reassurance ladies. My daughter is gaining weight and perfectly healthy...just had a moment of doubt. I had to pump for 45 min to get 2 ounces but that was my first time so hey! maybe I'm on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*songbirdma View Post
    I had to pump for 45 min to get 2 ounces but that was my first time so hey! maybe I'm on the right track.

but also - pumping, if you're going to do it regularly, is better done for shorter periods more frequently. you'll get more in the longrun, once you cue your body to up production.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yes. Is there a reason that you are going to have to start pumping now on a regular basis.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*songbirdma View Post
    I had to pump for 45 min to get 2 ounces but that was my first time so hey! maybe I'm on the right track.
    Yeah, honestly, the longest you should ever pump would be 15-25 minutes. After that, you're probably just damaging your nipples and liable to get sore. I think you had another post where you were getting helpful tips on technique? Is it going better? It's normal to not have a lot if you're trying to pump IN ADDITION to nursing. It might take a few days of doing it at the same time for your supply to increase to the point where you have extra to pump. If you're pumping INSTEAD of nursing and still not getting a lot, the issue is more likely how you're using the pump, and whether your body responds to the pump. It's also really common for women to not respond well to a pump if they've never pumped before. After all, it is pretty different than a cute little baby who has learned EXACTLY what works to let your milk down!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.