Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing baby to sleep at 3 mos -- bad habit?

Default Nursing baby to sleep at 3 mos -- bad habit?

hi there,

I've nursed baby to sleep since birth, should I continue or will this lead to problems later? I know babies and toddlers who aren't able to fall asleep on their own. I'd love baby to eventually fall aslep on her own, should I stop nursing to sleep now?

Also, since I had OALD I've been utilizing side lying breastfeeding position (feeding in bed) is this also bad habit? I'm wondering about this as baby is having a hard time accepting bottles from caregiveers since I returned to work and my bed feeding may be why....

Default Re: Nursing baby to sleep at 3 mos -- bad habit?

I wish DD3 would have nursed to sleep like my other babies but at your LO's age she wasn't and it was really hard to put her down. I say ENJOY it while it lasts, it won't last forever. DD1 and DD2 sopped to fall asleep on the breast at around 2 yo. It was really easy to put them to sleep when they did it.

As per your other question, not a bad habit at all, I use that position until they are weaned (and I nurse for a loooooong time), it's the only way I can get sleep.

And in general, the older the baby/child, the easier it is to set limits, just MO

My DD is just 1 year old now, but she stopped nursing to sleep around 3 months for most bedtimes and some naps. I usually have to rock her to sleep after nursing, which gets exhausting when she's fighting. I say enjoy it while you can, like PP said. Our sitter once experimented with putting DD in her crib and letting her fall asleep for a nap, and she did it, but I guess she looked obviously tired before she tried it. We've noticed so many books and articles say to put baby down when they're drowsy -- we do not normally have that state! We have wired and awake, or fully asleep, for the most part. We can't put DD down for bed or nap time while she's awake and have her fall asleep on her own. But if she wakes up during the night and I nurse her, I can usually put her back down without her being entirely asleep and she'll kick and roll and eventually fall asleep. So all this to say, all babies are different, but you may see some gradual changes you can work with as your LO gets older. Even with rocking being exhausting and often frustrating, I always enjoy the time alone with my baby. I try to think, "What do I have to do that's better than this, really?" Nothing I can think of!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I always figured that "bad" habits were the ones with the potential to harm the baby/child. If you go by that definition, there's nothing bad about nursing to sleep. It's normal, and it's temporary. That being said, it can also be an inconvenient habit for a mom who wants to occasionally skip her child's bedtime. If this inconvenience truly troubles you, I suggest taking a look at Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for some breastfeeding-friendly, non-cry-it-out methods for getting a baby to sleep more independently.

One thing that I think you should free yourself of is any fear that parenting your child to sleep is somehow a permanent situation or an abnormal one. Most kids need to be parented to sleep until they are well into childhood. Kids who have been weaned still need to be guided through their nightly routines- bath, brush teeth, pajamas, potty break, story, tuck in... But these routines naturally become easier and shorter as time goes on and the child becomes more independent.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the advice and reassurance everyone I think I'll keep nursing to sleep, especially since this won't last forever... I really do enjoy the time with her

it is normal for babies and toddlers to often need to be parented or "gentled" to sleep one way or another. All those lullabies were written for some reason! Nursing is one of if not the easiest tool for easing a baby gently into sleep. I swear it's as if "experts" sit around trying to make mothering harder with these absurd rules that have no basis in any science.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I swear it's as if "experts" sit around trying to make mothering harder with these absurd rules that have no basis in any science.
    x1000
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"