Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting too big for Boppy

Default Getting too big for Boppy

Around 3 months LO and decided to give up the other positions that she never really took to and stick with cross cradle with her lying on a Boppy or other pillow. She's now 1 (and 4 days!) Even lying down never worked very well for us, so we just stuck with what cross cradle, which made us both happy. I was also good at falling asleep sitting up, so caught up on rest when necessary. I have to use one hand to support my breast while she eats, because my breasts are apparently "strangely heavy" as a bra-fitter once told me! Then I use the other hand to keep her stable on the pillow. When I did side-lying, my shoulder always ended up hurting because I had to lean on my elbow to support my breast (and tried the rolled-up towel to no avail). But now she's getting kind of big and when we nurse in the rocking chair at bed time it's getting hard to position her. Did anyone else have a similar problem? If so, what was your solution?
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

with #2, due mid-June. Will I ever sleep again?

Default Re: Getting too big for Boppy

Have you tried side-laying again? Why do you need to support your breast for her at this point? She should be able to latch on by herself.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I never liked the boppy-too small for me. I loved the mybrestfriend (for twins) pillow.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

mommy2lilah, I have been debating trying the side-lying again, but keep putting it off. She can latch herself easily, but I do still need to support because otherwise my breasts are heavy and I can feel tugging the whole time. Combined with flat nipples, we seem to need the support to nurse comfortably or she loses her latch too easily or the tugging seems to make her think we're done nursing. But I guess you're right -- it's worth trying again. She's just so quick to refuse nursing if we have problems within the first few seconds! Once I had to shift around for a second and she refused to nurse for hours.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

What a goofy girl. Babies sure are funny.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes, I guess she's always been a very particular nurser! But it makes me sad when she refuses, because she seems really upset, like I did something bad by shifting around. I have to keep saying, "No, it's okay, try again." Sometimes she won't relent and just refuses and whines at me.

at one, although I too support the boob, my kids self positioned, laying down, hoovering over me, sitting facing me, standing in front of me, etc.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language