Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my little monster is teething

Default my little monster is teething

My little monster is cutting his first tooth.
    He barely sleeps and when he isn't sleeping, he's having a 45 minute window of clear thinking or screaming.
    His only comfort is nursing. :/
    I can tell he's in pain. He keeps rubbing his cheek and gnawing on his hand.

How do I get my little hobgoblin to be less...goblinish.
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Default Re: my little monster is teething

Nurse him. As much as he wants. He gets oxcytocin from your milk which helps with the pain. Also when it's time for him to sleep you can give him motrin or Tylenol. If he is older than 6 months the motrin ususally will get you a longer stretch of sleep. Like 3-4 hours instead of 2-3 from tylenol. But you can't give it as often.

Way too lazy for formula

My poor sweet goblin.
    :/
    Desmond Ringo Payton [5.31.12|8 lb 14 oz|22 in.|blonde|blue|beautiful|BACK TO BREAST 6.25.12]

Painkillers! Don't be afraid to give tylenol or motrin under these circumstances. Also, have you tried frozen teething rings, or frozen breastmilk in a mesh feeder, or frozen fruit if he's old enough? Even a damp washcloth put in the freezer for 30 minutes and then given to baby can really provide some relief.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

We have a mesh feeder. I'll try that.

You pump right? I really good one is "Mom cubes" where you put your pumped milk in ice cube trays and then put those on the mesh feeders. So that he is getting your milk and teething relief AND you get a break.

Way too lazy for formula

Mine have all worn an amber teething necklace (all the time). We use Camilia to take the edge off. When they need more, we give tylenol. As always, nurse on demand.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

The Hylands Teething Tablets worked for us too. And the amber teething necklace.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Mine have all worn an amber teething necklace (all the time). We use Camilia to take the edge off. When they need more, we give tylenol. As always, nurse on demand.
    I think the amber teething necklace helped my daughter, too as well as frequent nursing. We never did pain killers or teething tablets.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yes, agree with all, nursing first and foremost, painkillers or Camillia, teething necklaces, cold wet washcloths. For us the Camillia also seemed to help with diaper rashes caused by the acidity of the saliva. If he ever gets any bottles when you aren't there, give them cold!