Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colostrum in formula?

Default Colostrum in formula?

I'm still waiting for my milk to come in, but I got a decent amount of colostrum when I pumped just a minute ago. (I've been using the pump in hopes of getting my milk to come in sooner plus my right breast started leaking earlier). Anyways, I was wondering if it is ok to add the colostrum to the formula I've been having to give baby? Quick
    responses much appreciated! Thank you!

Default Re: Colostrum in formula?

Why are you giving formula? Is baby not latching? How old? Colostrum should be enough for the baby at this point, I wouldn't get into pumping because it's a slippery slope. It can cause over production, imbalances, clogged ducts and a whole host of other issues.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

First of all, welcome and congratulations on your new baby!

How many days old is your baby? Why are you giving the baby formula? I wouldn't add colostrum to formula - I would nurse the baby or give the baby the colostrum. Babies are born with fat stores that allow them to get through the first days on just colostrum, so formula is not usually necessary at all. Please let us know what's going on with you and baby so that we can help out!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hello! She is 5 days old. I've been giving her formula because, like I said, my milk hasn't come in and I didn't think/know the colostrum would be enough, or if I'd even be giving her enough colostrum for that matter. This is my first baby. Is that painfully obvious? lol She latches well enough, but again, no milk. I've been alternating between having her latch on and using the pump in hopes of getting this milk party started. I seem to finally be making progress today. My left breast is super sore and the right one, like I said, started leaking, so I tried pumping again earlier since it was not time for baby to feed yet. Anyways, I think that answers all your questions and any help is greatly appreciated. Was starting to get discouraged. :/

Why do you think your milk hasn't come in? Sorry if that seems very obvious to you, but sometimes women don't actually realize that their milk is coming in and get worried about production when there is no need to worry.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My milk didn't come in for 5 days. I never pumped or gave any formula. Colostrum is very nutrient rich and is enough until your milk come in. By giving your baby formula you are throwing off the number of times a day that your baby should be at the breast deamanding milk. How long have you been giving the baby formula? Has it been all of her feedings for the last 5 days?

Way too lazy for formula

Also--forget all the stuff about it not being 'time to feed the baby'. Best possible thing to do is to feed on demand, whenever baby seems hungry. A newborn should be getting a MINIMUM of 10-12 feeds in 24 hours--many newborns nurse much more than this. Putting baby to breast frequently is one of the best things you can do to help your milk come in. If baby has not shown hunger cues but it's been 2 hours since the last feed, you should offer to nurse. Baby may or may not take it, but offer. This is how you ensure that baby gets enough milk/colostrum while there isn't much and while their stomachs are tiny, and how you ensure you make enough milk! More demand (i.e., from a nursing baby) stimulates your body to make more supply.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I don't think I gave her any formula until the second day, when I felt like I wasn't putting anything out for her. She still seemed hungry after I tried feeding her. I don't like giving her formula, otherwise I wouldn't be here, because I really, really, really want to breastfeed, but I'm getting frustrated and confused.

It sounds like your milk is coming in and things are going OK on that front. Are you continuing to put baby to the breast? If so, it's probably just a matter of cutting out the formula. Don't get discouraged.

Kellymom is a good website with information that you can trust:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Also, do you have any support? Do you know other moms who are/have breastfed? You might want to check out your local LLL group and/or call a local LLL leader to talk through where you are at right now with things. That's what they're there for!