Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work and baby refuses bottle!

Default Back to work and baby refuses bottle!

Hi All,

Would appreciate any help! Today was my first day back to work and baby refused to take bottle from my husband and my mother-in-law. I don't understand, baby took the bottle before but my mother-in-law says she's older now and knows better (she's 3-mos today). I EBF during my maternity leave and rarely provided bottles (my mistake!). Any tips/advice? Special brand of nipples etc? When I got home she was so hungry

I love this forum, thank you all so much for all the advice you've given me in the last 3-months!

Default Re: Back to work and baby refuses bottle!

Oh, how stressful!

It might be rough for a bit, but she'll be able to adjust. She really will! She may increase the amount she nurses at night to make up for what she's not taking during the day.

I'm sure there are moms here who have gone through this who could give you some tips. Hopefully they'll weigh in...

Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

It's not a mistake to not provide bottles on your maternity leave! I tried but Lilah wouldn't take them either. What kind of bottle are you using? Do you have a slow flow nipple? Also, have you tasted the milk to make sure that it still tastes ok? I had an excess lipase issue that I didn't find out about until Lilah was 11 months old and finally realized why she didn't want to drink them. The milk tasted like vomit!

Does your baby nurse overnight? I calmed myself down by realizing that some babies sleep through the night, so 9 hours without milk at the babysitter was similar. Not great, but similar. Also, one thing that kind of worked for Lilah was putting the bottle in her mouth when she was asleep and basically dream-feeding her with it.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I am in the same boat bluesea. I am freaking out and don't know what else to try. I go back Monday and she refuses both types of bottles that have been offered to her and the small tylenol syringe.
    Please if anyone has any advice I'm all ears. I can't be gone from my baby knowing she's screaming and hungry all day long. I will loose my day care providers.
    Please help.

Thank you all for your responses! I think you're right, it just takes time. My MIL went to the store and bought every nipple on the racks and hubby kept trying them till he found one that she sort of tolerated. It's the old school brown rubber, medium size nipple (fast flow), NUK brand. Mommy2Lilah, yes, she's been feeding TONS at night now! At least she's getting enough milk b/c diaper output is still good. Thanks for your support SSOTKA, try trying different nipples and I soo feel for you. Hope is goes ok next week..