Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Infrequent bowel movements + green stools

Default Infrequent bowel movements + green stools

Hello there. This is my first post in the forum. I got here because I am extremely concerned about my daughter's health. This is my situation:
    DD is 3 and a half months old. She is exclusively breastfed. She is gaining weight normally and is not generally a fussy baby. From one day to another, she went from pooping after every feed, to pooping once every two or three days. Currently, she hasn't pooped for seven days. I've read this is normal for breastfed babies. I wouldn't be so worried if her poop was yellow, as it used to be, but every time she poops, it is dark green. So not only am I worrying about infrequent bowel movements, but also about the green stools. I took her to the doctor when this started and he said the frequency issue was normal and that the green poop was because she had a slight cold. But she doesn't have a cold anymore and the poop is still green! I am trying to get an appointment with a gastroenterologist (hopefully, I'll get one for this week). I've read about the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and about the oversupply, but I'm not sure this is my problem because I only have some symptoms, and by some I mean few (sometimes, baby cries and chokes when she starts feeding, sometimes feeds for no more than 5 minutes, opposite breast always leaks). I recently got the phone number of a La Leche League leader in my country, but it is too late to call her and tomorrow it is a holiday, so I don't know if I should call. That is why I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what the outcome was.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Infrequent bowel movements + green stools

Yep, pretty common for them to go 7 days or more. You'll probably have a blow-out soon.

DS had green poop for 1 week. I had oversupply so maybe this contributed. Anyway, it didn't seem to bother him and went away on its own.

I've heard of other babies with green poop for extended periods of time with no apparent reason. There was a 'color of poop' link that was very good, I'll try to dig around and see if I can find it.

How do you nurse? Do you let her come off the 1st side before offering the 2nd? Or just 1 side/feed.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Relax! In a baby who is otherwise happy, healthy, and growing, green poop is not a big deal and not a health problem. My second child had poop that was almost always green- anywhere from fluorescent green to dark spinach green- for months and months, and was perfectly healthy. I mentioned the green poops to my pediatrician, and she was never concerned about them.

I would only be concerned about green poop if the baby was not growing well, or if the poops contained significant amounts of blood in addition to being green. So I'd probably skip the appointment with the gastroenterologist. In all likelihood, the gastro. will just shrug, and possibly suggest that you eliminate dairy or some other likely useless step.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If there's green poop PLUS other things like

- poor growth
    - irritable, miserable baby
    - baby in pain
    - tons of gas
    - explosive poops
    - mucus in poop
    - blood in poop

Then it's probably time to take a closer look at what might be going on.

Green poop by itself is not a problem, it's just.... green poop.

Like mommal's, my second pretty much always had green poop while he was exclusively breastfed. I don't think I ever once saw a yellow poop from that kid, actually. I had a fast letdown, so that's probably why.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

My LO is now 5 months and sounds very similar to yours. At 10-12 weeks she began pooping less frequently and we panicked at first but then learned that she's fine. She often goes as long as 2 weeks between poops. At that point we do still get very antsy, but honestly it seems to bother us more than it bothers her. If she poops once a week, my husband and I celebrate. Also, hers are green too. I thought maybe it was my diet or a supply issue too, but again it doesn't seem to be a problem.
    My only advice (which I originally got from this forum) is to carry a spare outfit for her AND you in your diaper bag. When she finally poops, it can get messy for both of you.