Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fussy fussy fussy!

Default Fussy fussy fussy!

We've had an awful day here today. My almost 4-month old daughter has been fussing almost all day. Everytime I've offered to nurse, she screams, arches her back and cries. She hasn't nursed to sleep like she usually does - she's refused nursing and I've had to rock her to sleep for naps. She's dreamfed during naps, so she's gotten some milk in. She's also been fussy between feedings - inconsolable at times, mildly fussy the rest of the day. If she's like this again tomorrow, I guess I should take her in to have her ears checked? She doesn't have thrush or anything obvious in her mouth - although she's chewing her hands and drooling a bunch, but that's been going on for weeks.

Just venting. Long long day. It's hard on a mama's feelings when just being moved into nursing position causes baby to scream and arch away.

Default Re: Fussy fussy fussy!

I'm sorry it's such a hard time! I understand the feeling. Maybe it's teething? Or maybe a cognitive development. I know when my little man figures out something like rolling over he is very fussy either because they are over stimulated and therefore over tired, or because he now he wants to do more then he is capable of. I hope it gets better soon!

I'm thinking ear infection.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm taking her into the doc later this afternoon. She isn't quite as fussy as she was yesterday, but she's refusing to eat, so something's up.

If her ears check out ok, perhaps try hylands teething tablets. They worked wonders for us when I *knew* zayne was tired but was refusing to nurse. Instant results. Its worth a try.

Thanks - I will!

Should I pump some while she isn't eating as much to keep my supply up? How do you schedule pumping so as not to take away from baby? Only after she eats? What if she's going hours and hours between feedings (see my other post about low appetite - her fussiness popped upyesterday, but concerns over low appetite hAve been weeks)...

I just responded to your other post so you can see that - but I would just suggest dreamfeeding her as much as possible. I'm sorry this is so hard - I know the feeling when baby screams and arches at the breat . Keep us posted on what the doc says.

Re: pumping - I guess if you are uncomfortably full then go ahead and express a little, but if you can dreamfeed her until things get back to normal I would think your supply would be OK....especially since you are dreamfeeding her at night. That is good for your supply. If you do feel you must pump, do it right after after she eats. But again, don't get into a pumping trap if you can help it!

Keep us posted!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Well, she checked out perfectly fine. Her gums are pretty puffy, so she's working on teeth. We saw a different doctor than our usual pediatrician, but I really liked her. She said it sounded like a nursing strike to her - possibly related to teething, or maybe for no obvious reason. She encouraged me to relax and back off of (trying to) feeding her so often...but obviously whenever she asks. I think I've just been expecting her to want to eat everytime I'm offering. Doc said that if she only cues 6-7 times a day, that would be okay (and of course, any more is great too.) That kind of surprised me - I thought a 4 month old should still be nursing closer to the 8-10 per day?

Anyway, I'm going to do my best to back off and relax and watch for her cues. My son was a 26 week preemie who was diagnosed with failure to thrive and had a feeding tube for 3.5 years, so I have very heavy baggage surrounding feeding...that I'm doing my best to work through in therapy!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3kidsmama View Post
    Well, she checked out perfectly fine. Her gums are pretty puffy, so she's working on teeth. We saw a different doctor than our usual pediatrician, but I really liked her. She said it sounded like a nursing strike to her - possibly related to teething, or maybe for no obvious reason. She encouraged me to relax and back off of (trying to) feeding her so often...but obviously whenever she asks. I think I've just been expecting her to want to eat everytime I'm offering. Doc said that if she only cues 6-7 times a day, that would be okay (and of course, any more is great too.) That kind of surprised me - I thought a 4 month old should still be nursing closer to the 8-10 per day?

Anyway, I'm going to do my best to back off and relax and watch for her cues. My son was a 26 week preemie who was diagnosed with failure to thrive and had a feeding tube for 3.5 years, so I have very heavy baggage surrounding feeding...that I'm doing my best to work through in therapy!
    While I agree with you that 8-10 is the goal or usual, maybe the pedi was saying that 6-7 would be enough in the short term?
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start