Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing to sleep and everytime DS wakes, Cosleeping and preg

Default Nursing to sleep and everytime DS wakes, Cosleeping and preg

So my son is 14 months old and still nursing, which I'm perfectly fine with. I am 12 weeks pregnant and having a hard time putting on any weight and needless to say stressed. My son has always been in habit of nhrsing to sleep and even wakes if i try to lie him down after he comes off so he has to comfort nurse back to sleep (night time and naps). He has been ill lately and i understand he is going to want to nurse even more, but im afraid he is even more so in the habit if comfort nursing to sleep. He can not soothe himself to sleep at all and we do co sleep, so EVERY time he partially wakes he immeadiately wants to comfort nurse and sometimes as soon as he falls off my nipple he wakes up to get back on. Again he is 14 month and I am feeling so overwhelmed and sleep deprived considering I get woken up every 1-3 hours and sometimes multiple times per hour. I know I created this out of desperation of sleep to begin with but I know he and I both need better sleep. Since I am pregnant and can not keep this up once new baby is here i need to figure something out and work on As soon as DS feels good. I am planning on trying DR jay gordans night weaning method first before moving him to his crib so as to not change to much at once... Any opinions or advice?

Default Re: Nursing to sleep and everytime DS wakes, Cosleeping and

It seems that you think you did something wrong, creating this. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the scenario you describe, in fact IMO it's the natural thing for your very young child to want...comfort and parenting to sleep and during the night. Try dr gordons method, however please know that age 1-2 is prime age for waking up frequently as they get teeth and reach developmental milestones. So he may continue to night wake. For me, and I nursed all throughout my pregnancy, co sleeping and night nursing was the only way I could get any sleep at all. Hang in there you're doing the right thing.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi,

I totally feel for you. I was waking that often with my daughter when she was that age. Now she's just turned two, I'm pregnant and when she wakes me up once in the night I feel so tired the next day...

We cosleep still, but around 18 months I decided I needed to cut back on the night nursing. I have to admit that I was too tired at that point to use any of the processes people recommend. I decided to just tell her we would have milk in the morning and held her tight and give her lots of cuddles instead. I would offer her some water as well. After a month she had eliminated a waking and nursing. Eventually the 3am nursing moved to 4am and now it's at 5am - I think I've kinda slowly pushed her towards when I felt she'd adjusted to my pushing her later.

Hope that helps... I'm now trying to figure out weaning her/moving her to her own bed... seems impossible right now... Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vtntchma View Post
    Hi,

We cosleep still, but around 18 months I decided I needed to cut back on the night nursing. I have to admit that I was too tired at that point to use any of the processes people recommend. I decided to just tell her we would have milk in the morning and held her tight and give her lots of cuddles instead. I would offer her some water as well. After a month she had eliminated a waking and nursing. Eventually the 3am nursing moved to 4am and now it's at 5am - I think I've kinda slowly pushed her towards when I felt she'd adjusted to my pushing her later.
    omg, THIS is why i haven't done anything about all-night-nursing yet - the holding her and refusing nursing for a MONTH just sounds so much more exhausting to me than rolling over and nursing! when i get super frustrated with DS i remember what the alternative is and, so far, keep deciding to keep night-nursing & cosleeping.

but to the OP - 14 months is also prime time for starting molars. it was a rough month around here, even without me being pregnant, so i hear your pain. but if your baby's getting molars, HE is in pain too. i found that this is right around the time when DS started sleeping a lot better (after molars) - able to just be shushed back to sleep sometimes, going much longer between nursings at night, etc.

i'd also say, things are going to change SO MUCH in the next 6 months. you say that you can't keep this up when the new baby comes - but at that point your older will be 20 months old and in a whole different world as far as nighttime. so i'd advise, don't change things now because you don't think they're sustainable in 6 months. change them now if they're not sustainable NOW. then continually reevaluate.

congrats!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.