Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler Eats Nothing!! **for New Beginnings**

Default Toddler Eats Nothing!! **for New Beginnings**

Please share your wisdom with this frustrated mother for New Beginnings Magazine!

One mother wonders:

"I try to offer a variety of healthy foods, but my two-year-old hardly eats anything. It is as if he survives on air! How much and how often do your toddlers eat? What healthy foods do you find are most appealing?"

Responses may also be sent to toddler.tips@lllusa.org and may appear in a future Toddler Tips column in New Beginnings.

THANK YOU SO MUCH - your responses are what make New Beginnings a great magazine!!!

Default Re: Toddler Eats Nothing!! **for New Beginnings**

There's a lot of variation in the amount toddlers eat. Some kids eat everything, and lots of it, others are picky and hardly eat anything. I remember watching my friend's kids pick at a meal consisting of a couple of bites of macaroni and cheese, plus one or two peanut butter crackers, and then run off to play because they were "stuffed". My kid was still holding her plate out for more, more, more!

I think the four keys to toddler eating are faith, patience, creativity, and deception. Have faith that your toddler knows how much food he needs to survive, and will get it into his mouth somehow. Patiently offer a wide variety of healthy foods, in creative shapes (try cutting things with cookie cutters, assembling faces and pictures out of his food) and combinations (veggies with dip, food stacked into towers). And if that isn't working, and he'll only eat a few "safe" foods, get deceptive and start sneaking blended veggies into the foods you serve him.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, Mommal, you always have excellent suggestions! I really appreciate your responses. Anyone else?? Anyone ... anyone ... ???

My 2 1/2 year old little guy LOVES to eat. He definitely goes through phases of growing where he can eat a TON more than usual. I'm learning to be more and more patient with my little man because most days he is a picky eater. My son is not a meat eater, it's definitely a texture thing for him. We make sure to incorporate a veggie or fruit at every meal. We typically do brown rice or some whole wheat product at lunch and dinner. We love oatmeal and fruit every morning. For lunch it's typically pasta (of the mac and cheese variety) or a peanut butter sandwich. I'm lucky enough that my guy will choose a fruit over any kind of sugary treat We are still nursing and he doesn't care for milk, but snacks with dairy in it are his favorites (i.e., cheese, yogurt, etc.)

I make sure just to go with the flow when it comes to his eating. I don't want to stress out over something minimal and am sure to try new things with my little man and keep introducing new, healthy flavors and textures
    Married to my superman 4-26-08
    Mommy to Landon 1-29-2010, who nursed for 4 years!
    Mommy to DD Sadie born May 2nd, 2014 and nursing like a champ!

We all love and

Mommals response was excellent. I would say sometimes it seems like not very much but one good thing to do is write down everything they eat in a Food journal. It will help you get an idea of their nutrition over the course of the week. Sometimes when my girl is getting really picky I will do this and it turns out she is eating more than I thought.

ETA: Also I think sometimes our view of portion size in America is skewed. Before I started food journaling for myself, I would sometimes dole out an amount of food for my toddler that was actually more like the amount I should be eating (which I now realize). If I'm an adult weighing well over 100+ lbs and I can be just fine if not great eating 1-2 cups of food for a meal, shouldn't my toddler be eating far less?? Like 1/4 cup of the same food. And yet I was serving her a whole cup. I'm not saying other kids can't eat way more than that, but based on the size of the child the portion sizes may actually be smaller than we realize.
    Last edited by @llli*oakdryad5; October 22nd, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog