Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supplementing while at work

Default Supplementing while at work

This is for a friend...not me. I think I remember a few people saying that they did formula while they were at work instead of EBM. Mind sharing your experiences? My friend stopped pumping at work because she wasnt' getting enough milk. So they are giving formula when she's at work, but nursing when they are together. She always thinks she doesn't have enough milk...I'm not sure that she is willing to start pumping again or actually DO anything to up her supply. Baby is almost 9 months old.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Supplementing while at work

As a mom who nursed/pumped and supplemented for 15 out of 16 months (EBF first 4 weeks), it can be done. Given the babies age, she may be fine to nurse nights/weekends, give formula while at work, and still have enough milk when together. Any breastmilk is better than none. If she is not willing to do anything to increase her supply, I would just be supportive with what she wants.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I gave formula when I was at work. but I kept pumping, too. I'd just pump as much as I could, which was usually enough for one and a half, maybe two bottles, and they'd give one, maybe two bottles of formula. By nine months I was pumping twice a day at least.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

thanks for the input ladies. I don't think she is pumping at all during work. I will have to call because I would think that because the baby is still young that would hurt...I know that her DH was bringing th eLO to her at lunch time, but I don't think he's able to do that every.single.day. I was going to talk to them about reverse cycling...I also remembered an article I came across before from eithr Jay Gordon or Jack Newman that was saying that supplements weren't needed especially if baby was nursing on demand at night and on food...I will have to see if I can find that for them. I am sure they would rather not do formula at all.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    I gave formula when I was at work. but I kept pumping, too. I'd just pump as much as I could, which was usually enough for one and a half, maybe two bottles, and they'd give one, maybe two bottles of formula. By nine months I was pumping twice a day at least.
    When I started back to work, I could pump enough to cover the next day. My the time LO was about 9 months, I wasn't making enough. So I'd pump as much as I could, and supplement the remainder. If her goal is to keep BF for as long as possible, then I wouldn't pump wean, I'd just accept that she needs to make up the rest. If she slows the pumping down, her supply outside of work will likely be affected and her child may wean more quickly.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start