Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy/Gassy 13 week Old

Default Fussy/Gassy 13 week Old

Hi There --

My DS and I have struggled through breastfeeding and finally got into the swing of things when he was 9 weeks ago. Over the past month he has been extremely fussy - arching his back and having inconsolable crying spurts due to what we believe is gas. We have been giving him Zantac and also have tried Simethicone/Gripe Water. My husband begged for us to try a formula for gassy babies this weekend to see if it would change his behavior (we haven't been getting much sleep at my house.) He has been able to burp and be less gassy than he was and seems to arch his back less. He has only spit up a handful of times ever and it hasn't been much.

In saying this -- it breaks my heart to think that we finally got into the swing of things and now we are dealing with the milk causing gas issues. Is this just a phase that babies go through? Or is it something with what I have been eating? I know that a lot of babies have an issue with dairy - but when looking to try to eliminate it from my diet it seems that all I can eat is rice and chicken. I am currently pumping and freezing my milk in case something were to change but wanted to get some advice before giving up on breastfeeding. I just went back to work this past week which has added another layer of stress

Also -- my mom was trying to tell me that if you are stressed that stress hormones pass through the milk? What new mommy isn't stressed?

Default Re: Fussy/Gassy 13 week Old

How are his poops? Yellow and seedy, or green, mucousy, maybe blood-streaked or flecked? If the poops are yellow or mostly yellow, then it's not a dairy intolerance/allergy.

Also, how has baby's weight gain been?

And when do these inconsolable crying jags happen? All day long, or mostly at one time of day, perhaps in the evenings? Colicky behavior, particularly in the evenings, is very normal at this age. Will baby nurse during the crying jags?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

His poops are a orange color -- they were seedy when he was younger but they haven't been lately. He poops every 1-2 days and it is usually a whole day production for him to get them out. He hasn't had any green or any of the other issues that you have described in his poops.

His weight gain has been moderate -- he continues to gain and the Dr. doesn't seem concerned with his weight (he did lose a lot of weight at the beginning in the first week but has been gaining ever since.) He is constantly having wet diapers and hates being wet (we need to catch it and change his diaper before a melt down)

I would say that his crying spells occur all day -- but they seem to magnify at evening. We basically have to swaddle him in a blanket tight and bounce on an exercise ball to help him through it. He can go from the happiest baby to screaming in a short period of time. He is not a great at napping (sleeps maybe 10-20 mins in a bassinet - otherwise if you hold him in your arms he will sleep for hour +) and sleeps for about 4-5 periods at night. He will nurse during the crying spells every time -- he would stay nursing all day I feel if I would let him. I have nursed him before thinking he was hungry and he ended up falling asleep on me. Other times I will nurse him and he will pass gas and burp.

Since we have put him on this formula he hasn't had a crying spell like he did with breast milk (still has fussy moments - but tolerable) and still continues to not nap as well. He hasn't arched his back like he was - which makes me wonder what could it be? I was so excited to finally have breastfeeding enjoyable and now it is a challenge to deal with him as fussy as he has been with breast milk. I am freezing my milk hoping that we can use the formula now and re-introduce breast milk and breast feeding.

Ds's poop was always normal even with his sensitivity. It was the rash, which looked just like normal baby acne but wouldn't go away, and the nightwaking bc of painful gas that were the biggest indicators for us. Was it a soy or hypoallergenic formula? The easy (easier) days of nursing are right around the corner. you can certainly try eliminating dairy. It can take a few weeks to get out of your and his systems. There is plenty to eat in the world that doesn't have dairy. Fruits and veggies, lean meats, etc. You can substitute the alternative type milks for cow milk in recipes with no problem.

We are using the Similac Sensitive for Fussiness and Gas. We haven't noticed any baby acne since he was a newborn (the first couple of weeks) and he hasn't had any sort of rash anywhere on his body. We are hoping that this is something that we can use for a couple of days and begin re-introducing breast milk and nursing again - but we want to make sure we figure out what the issue is since it looks so painful for him.

Mama, I would stop the formula NOW. Breastfeeding is an investment in the future. Master it now, nurse through the fussiness, and it's going to pay off with a happier, easier baby in the future. The fussiness you're seeing now is NOT a good reason to discontinue breastfeeding. Yes, your baby may be less fussy on formula right now. But there's a hidden price in addition to the price of the formula, and that is that formula is not as healthy for baby, and that doing bottles instead of nursing means risking a future in which your baby is not willing to nurse.

The fussiness sounds like very normal- and very frustrating- colic. Colic is a really mysterious thing. People know more about what it ISN'T than what it IS.
    What it ISN'T:
    - caused by breastmilk or breastfeeding
    - caused by gas
    - dangerous for baby (though colicky babies may be at greater risk of abuse at the hands of frustrated caregivers)
    - permanent
    What it IS:
    - temporary
    - usually starts around 3 weeks, peaks around 2-4 months of life, and is gone by 6 months- interestingly, this is true for premature babies, as well as full-term ones. Preemies tend to start colic at 3 weeks corrected age (that is, from their due date) and proceed through it at the same pace as full-term babies. This suggests that colic is a developmental stage.
    - usually more intense in the evenings

When coping with colic, here are some thing you can do:
    - Nurse. Nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse. If baby will nurse through colicky spells, this is ideal. Neither of my kids did, though, so if your baby won't nurse, proceed to the next items on the list!
    - Swaddle. Some babies calm down when their little bodies are straightjacketed.
    - Closeness. Wear baby in a sling, skin-to-skin if possible.
    - Motion. Swing, bounce, rock, stroller ride, car ride.
    - White noise. Radio static, vacuum cleaner, dryer noise, sound machine, etc.
    - Calm house. Keep lights dim, tv and stereo down or off.
    - Trip outside. Fresh air and a change in light/smells/temperature can have an immediate calming effect.
    - Warm bath.
    - If all the above fail, and you cannot cope with the crying, try a bottle of BREASTMILK, not formula!!! The ease of bottlefeeding may be what's soothing your baby, not the "gentle" formula.

Everything on the list is about changing the baby's incoming sensory inputs. If they work, great! If not, PATIENCE!!! This stage will pass. If everything on the list fails, and the baby is still screaming, put him down in a safe place, step outside, get a breath, and then go back in. Colic is extremely distressing for parents!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you talked to your doctor about the gas pain? When DD was younger, we gave her Zantac for what we thought was reflux. It gave her horrible gas pain/explosive poops. When we went back to the doctor, he just happened to mention that Zantac can really upset the digestive tract. We stopped the medicine and her inconsolable crying from the gas pains stopped. Perhaps you could try a different medicine or stop it based on what your doctor might suggest.
    OR
    We more recently noticed that when she does get the inconsolable crying she tends to fart more. Now the crying is due to teething or overtired and not gas, but the crying makes her fart louder and more frequently so perhaps your baby is teething? My DD got her first tooth at three months.
    I'm no expert, but I thought I could give some advice. I know the crying is horrible to go through!

Thanks for the advice -- I have stopped the formula and we are going back to breast milk for him which I think is best. I will still continue to be mindful of what I am eating (ie dairy, etc.) just in case to help him with his stomach.

That is interesting about the Zantac -- we called his nurseline for his Dr. and they actually told us to give him MORE Zantac (we were giving him .3 - they told us to up it to .6) You are also the second person who has mentioned teething to us as well. He did have a fever of 100.1 at daycare today (it was his first day there as well) so we aren't 100% sure what it is from but we will continue to monitor him.

I am basically thinking that this is a phase that we will need to get through. It is definitely hard to cope with (especially as a first time mommy) but I am really hoping that this will end soon ...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommydoll1203 View Post
    His poops are a orange color -- they were seedy when he was younger but they haven't been lately. He poops every 1-2 days and it is usually a whole day production for him to get them out. He hasn't had any green or any of the other issues that you have described in his poops.

His weight gain has been moderate -- he continues to gain and the Dr. doesn't seem concerned with his weight (he did lose a lot of weight at the beginning in the first week but has been gaining ever since.) He is constantly having wet diapers and hates being wet (we need to catch it and change his diaper before a melt down)

I would say that his crying spells occur all day -- but they seem to magnify at evening. We basically have to swaddle him in a blanket tight and bounce on an exercise ball to help him through it. He can go from the happiest baby to screaming in a short period of time. He is not a great at napping (sleeps maybe 10-20 mins in a bassinet - otherwise if you hold him in your arms he will sleep for hour +) and sleeps for about 4-5 periods at night. He will nurse during the crying spells every time -- he would stay nursing all day I feel if I would let him. I have nursed him before thinking he was hungry and he ended up falling asleep on me. Other times I will nurse him and he will pass gas and burp.

Since we have put him on this formula he hasn't had a crying spell like he did with breast milk (still has fussy moments - but tolerable) and still continues to not nap as well. He hasn't arched his back like he was - which makes me wonder what could it be? I was so excited to finally have breastfeeding enjoyable and now it is a challenge to deal with him as fussy as he has been with breast milk. I am freezing my milk hoping that we can use the formula now and re-introduce breast milk and breast feeding.
    We went through this!!! Let me assure you that it was bad and it DID end. It was so hard and made so much of my maternity leave feel like torture for both of us. I too found myself nursing all day because it comforted her the most. And then I worried that made her worse. She too only slept for 10 to 20 min naps. Felt like I never got a break. I felt helpless and wanted so badly to help her. I read like crazy, trying homeopathics, massage techniques, anything that seemed safe/natural (except formula) to relieve my little girl's distress. I finally quit all the gas drops, gripe water, calming tablets, Mylanta (a one day experiment under Ped direction and guidance) because they did not really work and I decided mixing all that crap in with wonderful breast milk was just confusing her tummy further. You know what worked? Patience and time. The one 'treatment' besides nursing that did give her relief was a warm bath. Note, I bathe with my baby vs using a bather. She loves it. I literally draw a shallow warm bath, climb in holding her, cradle her in my lap with her bottom dunked, keep a warm washcloth over her tummy and chest at all times, keep her feet and hands dangling and warm in the water. If I want to wash her hair, no wet head till the end so she doesn't get cold. No matter how bad the gas and crying was, the bath always stopped it. Obviously you have to be very careful. But you can even nurse in there. Warning, sometimes it relaxes the tummy so much, out blows the poop right in the tub. Or right after, so wrap in a towel upon exit and note it may go right in the wash.

Also read up on causes (formula is one) and some nursing - and bottle feeding techniques if you're ever giving him expressed milk - that can help avoid some of the gassy or reflux type reactions.
    http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/gassybaby/
    "Bottlefeeding – Babies usually swallow more air when drinking from a bottle. When using bottles, use the slowest-flow nipples so baby doesn’t get overwhelmed with the milk flow. To reduce air swallowing, keep baby at about a 45 degree angle (rather than lying down), make sure baby has a good seal on the base of the nipple, and keep the bottle tilted so the neck & nipple are filled with milk. There are also varieties of bottles that aim to reduce air swallowing. Don’t let baby suck on an empty bottle. Burp baby more often if he seems to be swallowing too much air."

But truth be told, time = maturity = stronger gut. We are just past 3 months old and all this is behind us, replaced with miles of smiles. She still farts like a frat boy, but it rarely brings tears. Or they're very short lived. Good luck. Be patient. Work as a team with your husband.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12