Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate for help!!!!

Default Desperate for help!!!!

I had a plugged duct with a bleb, I nursed and massaged and it went away. Then it came back, I was told by my physician to pop the bleb and nurse through. I ended up with mastitis and on antibiotics.i cannot get the spot in my left breast to Empty, I just spoke with another dr and she told me that it will most likely just dry up eventually and stop making milk. My little guy is only 8 weeks old and I am desperate to continue nursing, please any reccomendations on getting this gone would be appreciated!!!

Default Re: Desperate for help!!!!

hi mama, congrats on your new baby and EEK on your troulbes with your left breast!

have you tried nursnig like crazy on the left, rotating baby so his chin is pointed toward the sore spot to aid emptying, massaging in the shower, pumping? all of these things can help clear the spot.

do you have any idea of anything that might be contributing to a plug in that spot? underwire bra? diaper bag that rubs against you? some moms are so sensitive even a seam in a bra can cause a plug. and yes, it can be different on each side.

your left breast will NOT "just dry up" if it's getting emptied regularly. that is not how our bodies work. now, you could eventually force that breast to dry up by never removing milk from it, and if it is just constantly a huge problem, you might consider that route. many moms successfully nurse a baby on one breast, so that's not a very big concern. but if you just stop on the left cold turkey you will probably have more problems as it gets engorged, maybe plugs, maybe mastitis again. so you'd have to wean it.

under either scenario, there is NO reason you can't continue nursing as long as you like!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Excellent advice from auderey! No reason to worry too much, provided you continue to nurse on the left. If the plugged duct indeed never, ever empties, it's possible that it will end up making very little or no milk. No milk removal = little or no milk production. But that shouldn't be a big deal, because you still have the rest of your breast functioning. The functional parts of the breast will provide plenty of milk, as long as you nurse on demand.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm on antibiotics I've tried warm compresses I've been "pumping and nursing" through for a week. The mass is bigger, I have a new rash that's developed and I'm barely getting an ounce off that side. I'm very very tender and can't even wear a sleep bra. I've tried soaking and hand expression, nursing with his chin in that direction ( that was a challenge lol). I'm just not sure what else I can do. I'm worried it's getting infected further (development of new rash) even on the abx...

I don't make a lot of milk never produced more than 4oz with both breasts for my daughter, I'm not sure my right side will sustain him.

What sort of rash? Do you mean a flat, red, patchy or perhaps streaky rash on the skin of your breast over the plugged area, or do you mean something else, like hives?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

unless i have this wrong, the antibiotics will only clear up the infection -the mastitis that gives you the fever and flu symptoms. this will not necc. take care of any plugs.

a plug or bleb is blocking one duct and/or nipple pore. it would be unusual for that to completely stop milk flow from the breast as breasts typically have more than one of both that function. so maybe the doctor meant that duct would dry up? Anyway, while it is often possible to nurse on one side, it is not optimal. after all, what happens if something then happens to the one functioning breast? best bet is to keep doing what you can to eliminate the plug.

are you nursing exclusively or pumping as well? If you are pumping why are you pumping? How often does baby nurse or you pump? before the plug/bleb, was nursing comfortable on that side? baby gaining ok?

I don't make a lot of milk never produced more than 4oz with both breasts for my daughter, I'm not sure my right side will sustain him.
    i assume you are measuring this by pump output. number one, 4 oz. a one session is v. good-even unusually good- pump output. number two, what you pump typically does not tell you how much baby actually extracts when nursing-baby is usually better. and three, if indeed you did lose production on one side (which i agree with pps is very unlikely to happen unless you stop nursing or pumping) your other side would almost certainly start producing more.

I'm just not sure what else I can do.
    there is lots more you can do. don't give up! plugs can be v. tough to get rid of but it is usually possible. read the articles linked above and this one. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

personally I needed to use vibration when i recently had a very bad plug-i used a hand held massager, some people use electric toothbrush. Cold compresses, anti-inflammatorys, nursing "downhill" -see description on the above link-
    I found I had to start nursing very frequently as I was over producing and my breasts also never "emptied", which led to the plug and mastitis. Nursing often with baby latched well was what saved me I am convinced. For about 10 days I had to 'cue' baby rather than having her cue me especially at night when she would sleep 'too long' for me. By cue I mean, encourage her to nurse.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 14th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

So sorry to hear you are suffering with this, as i know firsthand the pain, hassle, amd anxiety. how are you doing the warm bath? i use a big glass 8c pyrex bowl, and nuke the water til its almost painful, then drop the breast in for two mins, then, while its in the water, just squeeze down from the chest wall to the nipple. the water from our hot water tap just isnt hot enough! I would try to schedule this close as possible to nursing, as a pump just is not as effective as th babe!

Sunflower lecithin to prevent plugged ducts... Not sure if it will help " loosen" what you have, but you can order from amazon and get it next day (I did). Soy lecithin is questionable due to the significant levels of phytoestrogens in soy.

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Sunf...thin+sunflower

Good luck! Hth!