Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Manual pump issues

Default Manual pump issues

I tried pumping with a manual pump for the first time the other day. It was painful and I pumped for as long as my hands could go for and all that work for nothing...3 drops of milk! I've never had any supply issues so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right or if the pump just sucks. (evenflo SimplyGo) Can't afford to buy an electronic pump. Any tips?

Default Re: Manual pump issues

Although it can take a bit of adjustment when you start using a pump, it should be easier than what you experienced. And although pumping doesn't feel good, it should not hurt (just a little uncomfortable at first). It sounds like the horn on your pump (the part your nipple goes into) may not be the correct size for you--many women find that the standard size is too small. I'm not familiar with the evenflo specifically, but both the electric and manuals that I have used have larger sized horns that you can buy.

I have occasionally used the regular size instead of my usual large size ones and it is a little painful, plus I do not get as much milk--probably because I am not relaxed for good letdown.

Also, were you pumping really fast and squeezing very hard? If so, you might want to vary the pressure and speed. I initially thought that more was better but I found that I respond better to a more moderate to slow intensity. Think about trying to mimic your baby's nursing pattern (initially quicker small sucks, then slower deeper drinks). When I use my hand pump I do fast but gentle pumps for about 30 seconds, then slower (about 1 sec spaced) but more firm pumps.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

The only time I get anywhere with a manual is if I use it while baby is nursing on the other side. :/

If you cannot afford an electric, it might be worth checking with your insurance company - they may cover part of the cost of a rental (or even all of it) if your doctor gives you a prescription for one. Part of the affordable care act (not all companies are on board with this yet but many are, it's worth checking)

Thanks ladieS! Ali, your tips helped and I had more success the second time around.