Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suddenly sore

Default Suddenly sore

My D is 6 MO and bfing has gotten rough. A few weeks ago, I posted that she was getting "violent" when she fed--kicking, hitting, slapping, etc. That seems to have died down, at least for now.

The new problem is that I'm starting to get sore. I was really sore for the first month that I nursed but then it went away, and now I'm starting to feel those same sensations. Her latch seems to still be good, just kind of...I don't know how to explain it...tighter? harsher? She has two teeth on the bottom/center, if that makes a difference. I'm just trying to figure out why this is happening? Is this something that's going to get worse? Is there a way to keep it from getting worse? Could it be thrush?
    Last edited by @llli*tallmadre; October 13th, 2012 at 10:20 PM.

Default Re: Suddenly sore

Moms often get sore when their babies are teething, because babies like to soothe their sore gums on mom. If this is the case, it should improve once the teeth break through.

Thrush is another common cause of pain after months of pain-free nursing. But I wouldn't go there yet- not when you can feel a difference in your baby's latch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. So it could still be related to the teeth, even if she's not actively biting?

She has two teeth, but I was wondering yesterday if her teething was slowing down or something. She was a drool factory for weeks before and now there's hardly any drool, so I was wondering if she was putting any new teeth on hld for a while? Or do they just come constantly once they start?

they come in waves, for most kids. and yes, the latch can get horrible while they're coming - exactly what you described - tighter or harsher. for me, like newborn latch-on pain. like they're getting counterpressure against their gums.

it is not fun but it does pass. not very fast in my case ... i thought molars would come in june and they just finished last week. so it passes eventually!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.