Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2 week old not gaining weight quickly enough?

Default Re: 2 week old not gaining weight quickly enough?

I think it's possible that her initial weight was inflated due your fluid level and the IV they had you on for the c-section. I had very fatty milk.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes she continues to have wet and poopy diapers. She started gaining weight after I began feeding her my milk from a bottle. This (to me) seems to rule out any medical issues relate to digestion etc.

There is no way she is any younger (my husband has a strange work schedule so I know when she was conceived )

She is now 3 weeks old and would have been 40 weeks gestation on 10/14 (a week ago). She is just shy of her birth weight after finally beginning to gain weight starting Wednesday of this past week.

But the LC was thinking similar things about her "getting the hang of it " and her younger gestation at birth.

I appreciate you taking the time to try to help me solve my problem. This might be a pipe dream but I secretly hope she will snap out of it in a few weeks as she gets older.

I bet she will snap out of it! A bigger, stronger, more physically adept baby is almost always better at removing milk from the breast than a newborn, who tends to be weak and sleepy and uncoordinated.

The creamy milk thing- at 2 weeks you're probably still producing some colostrum and that's going to make the milk look creamier. I remember the first bottles I pumped ( .5 years ago now!) and they were much more creamy-looking than what I got just a few weeks later.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"